The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is the OmniFocus app for the iPhone worth the price? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is the OmniFocus app for the iPhone worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelend View Post
This type of open ended question is difficult to answer and even more unreliable as the answers you might receive, including mine, will not properly reflect what you consider of value. I and other potential posters responding to this question cannot attribute the importance of our workflow requirements to the aspects you may or may not find important in your own implementation of the GTD method or use of this application. In fact, you may not attribute a workflow at all which is related to GTD and might be in the market for a high-end to-do list. The lack of details makes providing input to formulate an answer challenging.

So... here goes my shot in the dark. For me, I have owned the iPhone application since its originating debut in the App Store and have never regretted the purchase, have used it every day since, and would suggest it to those wanting to implement a GTD workflow. I do use the Mac application of this software as well and I would not suggest using the iPhone application on its own. I use OmniFocus mainly on the Mac and benefit from custom perspectives and implementing AppleScript as part of my workflow. The iPhone application is a fantastic compliment to the Mac version. OmniFocus is a tool which fits my workflow very well on the various Apple platforms. The value of the application far exceeds the price of the application in my personal workflow, others will have varied and sometimes competing opinions on the value they have gained from the application.

If I may suggest, asking such an open question invites too broad of a response that you would be better served to present a more direct question with an idea of what you value as being important to your proposed use of the application and vital in a decision to purchase the application. For instance, you could ask:
  • Are there advantages of using the OmniFocus for iPhone in conjunction with the Mac application?
  • Does OmniFocus for iPhone uphold a strick GTD environment or can the application be used for non-traditional GTD methodologies?
  • Can I use the OmniFocus for iPhone to implement x type of scenario?

The value I place on the application is much more than the $20 purchase price. You might agree or you might disagree — this depends on what you find important in these types of applications and how well it would assist you in your personal workflow. From your question I have no idea what it is you would consider attributing to "OmniFocus being worth the price". All I can say is that I consider the application a steal at $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelend View Post
do you mean, "In your opinion, is the OmniFocus app for the iPhone worth the price?"

MY answer: yes

It's well worth it's price - in fact, since I find the UI of OF1 for Mac, umm, sub-optimal, and I don't have an iPad (yet), I find myself doing more and more with OF on my iPhone (4s).

Every other day I'm amazed about *what* is working on the iPhone (which I never thought to be implemented) ...

YMMV, of course.