The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni @ Macworld Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So I spent quite some time at the Omni booth at Macworld getting as much hands-on information I could. The employees were really helpful and the products were fantastic. But...I opted for going with Mindjet MindManager for now, with plans on getting some Omni products when they are more robust.

I asked several of the reps what they thought of MindManager and no one really knew anything about it. I asked for several demos and walk-throughs of the Omni software, but it just seemed so cumbersome to flip back and forth between programs to get decent mind mapping, outlining and project management. Plus, the mind mapping didn't have many options for adding details, links, movies, check boxes, tags, etc...but I still liked what I saw.

The guys at the Mindjet booth, however, knew everything about the Omni products and gave me a detailed demo comparing features and workflow. MindManager just seemed much more robust for information workers -- the mind maps could be used for everything from brainstorming, to full corporate projects with flags, links, documents and check boxes. It was literally a "second mind", with every Mac friendly feature you could think of -- dragging around content, pulling bubbles together, separating them, quickly adding/subtracting info, customizing pull downs, doing pretty much anything you could think of on the fly with the ease of Mac user-friendliness. It was much more than "drawing pretty bubbles"...it was an all out "mind manager".

So why am I here?? I'm still recommending the Omni products to friends (especially students) who are looking for simple solutions that are not as robust. Also, I'm hoping my humble review will help challenge and grow the Omni team toward even greater innovation. Mindjet has huge market share for professional mind mapping, project management solutions -- I believe that that belongs to Omni. I know you guys are absolute Mac enthusiasts, so it would be wonderful if you could please smash the competition and win back my staff, who are eagerly awaiting what comes down the pipeline in 2007...!

Thanks for reading, and I'm hoping to switch back soon...

d

Last edited by Derek78; 2007-01-21 at 10:49 PM..

My choice, having tried MindJey Mindmanager was to go with Omnioutliner Pro and NovaMind. OOP gives me a powerful outliner (which can be made to work with Shadow PLan on my Palm) and NovaMind will read files created by OOP.
MM was just a bit too PC-like for me!