The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Discontinuous tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I'm going to be reviewing OmniPlan for the first time, and have a question. I've used other PM software for construction projects and have often been frustrated by not being able to break up a task into non-continuous segments without making a new task for it. For example, one task may be slotted in for 3 weeks in the planning stage but in reality the subtrades show up for a week, then don't come back for 1 1/2 weeks, then come back for a week, and then work 4 days, etc. I need to be able to adjust the planned task to reflect the actual periods when it was executed. Can OmniPlan accommodate this easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by archeus View Post
Hi, I'm going to be reviewing OmniPlan for the first time, and have a question. I've used other PM software for construction projects and have often been frustrated by not being able to break up a task into non-continuous segments without making a new task for it. For example, one task may be slotted in for 3 weeks in the planning stage but in reality the subtrades show up for a week, then don't come back for 1 1/2 weeks, then come back for a week, and then work 4 days, etc. I need to be able to adjust the planned task to reflect the actual periods when it was executed. Can OmniPlan accommodate this easily?
There isn't a way to split the task that way in OmniPlan right now. The only workaround would be to create two tasks for Task A and call them "part 1" and "part 2". Not a very elegant solution I know.

We have a feature request for split tasks in our database so I'll add a vote to it for you. :)

Thanks. This would be really useful for real-world situations particularly construction. I've made do in other programs by splitting up the task as you suggest but on a large project it takes too much time to manage. entering the time exactly as it occurs in the original task would really help.

Yeah I just wanted to add another vote for split-task functionality. I found this to be a really useful feature in MS Project so it would definitely be good if this existed in OmniPlan.

Thanks!

Please add another vote for me. I would really like to ditch M$ Project.

Votes added. Thanks!

Add another!
Thanks

And another, please. This is one of the few things that is keeping me -- unhappily -- in Project.

Add another vote please

Please add my vote