The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

.html extension on dynamic html export Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Can someone help me understand why, when I export an Omni Outliner project to dynamic html it creates a folder with the .html extension (which is hidden by default)?

When I upload this folder via FTP I need to delete this extension from the folder so that web servers treat it as a folder - containing the actual html and support files.

Am I missing something? Doesn't this need to be deleted in order to function as an online resource? Is there a purpose for a FOLDER extension in the online world (I know oo3 files and many others are actually folders to OS X)?

I'm asking because it is a pain to remember to delete the extension before uploading.

Thanks

How about this? Can someone help me cook up a script that would strip off the .HTML extension from the folder?

Why not just select the folder in the Finder, bring up the Get Info window with command-I and remove the .html extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Why not just select the folder in the Finder, bring up the Get Info window with command-I and remove the .html extension?
'Cause it is a pain and seems so unnecessary. Plus after I do that the next time I update my outline and export the changes I end up with two copies of my folder, one with the extension and one without. Simply deleting the extension won't work because there is already a folder with that name.

Perhaps it seems silly if I needed to do it once but I create outlines of course units, each section being a lesson. Each course has many units. These unit outlines are modified and updated often. Other teachers access them online. So this process gets repeated over and over.

Here is what I cooked up with Automator:
1. Look in folder A
2. Select anything with the .HTML extension
3. Move selection to folder B
4. Strip the extension
5. Move back to folder A and overwrite the previous virsion
6. Transmit uploads the new folder containing the index.HTML files to my web host.