The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Undoing subtract shapes... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I merged a couple of custom shapes, and now I'd like to going back and edit some of the details.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to edit the points on the merged shape, and I don't see a way to 'unmerge' the shapes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

When I did this with two smaller custom shapes (about a dozen points each), there is an option in the Edit->Shapes menu to 'Make Points Editable'.

Is the some limit on the number of points or complexity of the custom shapes for this option?

Or should the 'make points editable' option always be there?

Ah... I think I see the problem. When I 'union' two shapes, the points can be made editable. When I 'subtract' one shape from another, that option is no longer available.

Seems like I'm running into a program limitation here. Is that correct?

I think you are, but it seems to be a little more complex. You can't make the points editable if the subtraction produces a shape with one or more holes in it. If the subtraction clips off a portion of the original shape but leaves it as a simple closed line, then the points remain editable.

Hi there, John,

Yes, that seems about right. Tricky!

Is there any additional documentation or information about this feature and/or the limitations anywhere?

I'm currently running into a problem which larger custom objects and the 'subtract shapes' feature, and it would be handy to see a more detailed explanation. The help feature has almost nothing on it.

I don't think this is documented anywhere. I'd report the situation as a bug through the OG feedback process.

I submitted a 'feedback' from the program and included a link this forum entry. I'll post what I find out. Thanks!