The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Size of .graffle file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just created an OmniGraffle document which has seven A4 pages, each of which has ten boxes and nine connecting lines. I have applied background colours to about half of the boxes and coloured about half of the lines. I am not using any images.

When I looked at the .graffle files generated I was aghast at its size: > 96 megabytes and roughly 2.65 million lines of XML.

Closer examination revealed several large blocks of what looked like base64-encoded data.

The size of the document strikes me as being excessive: is it a feature or a bug?

I'm using OmniGraffle Professional 4.1.2, version 127.10 on Mac OS X 10.4.9 on an Intel iMac.

Regards
Steve

P.S. For obvious reasons I refrain from attaching the file...!

Wow, that's huge. Are you perhaps using a pattern color? That could explain the base64 data (the pattern gets stored as a base64-encoded PNG or TIFF or whatever format).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Lewis
Wow, that's huge. Are you perhaps using a pattern color? That could explain the base64 data (the pattern gets stored as a base64-encoded PNG or TIFF or whatever format).
I use a program called Tangerine, which embeds itself into the Apple colour palette selector, to specify the colour. I specified CMYK colour with transparency, which should be simple.

But it seems that Tangerine is the prime suspect. I'll pursue that and report back.

Steve

It does indeed appear to be a problem in the interaction of Tangerine with OmniGraffle. I've done the following test:

1) create a document containing one shape from the "Magnetized" stencil.
2) fill it with colour.
3) colour its line.

If I pick a normal colour from the Apple colour picker (say, one of the crayons), I get a file of about 6300 bytes. If I do the same with a colour specified in Tangerine using CMYK, the resultant file has a size of about 1.5 MB. But if I use a colour from Tangerine specified using RGB, I also get a file of only 6300 bytes.

So clearly the interaction of OmniGraffle and Tangerine causes the inflated file sizes when the colour has been specified in Tangerine using CMYK.

I looked in more detail at one of the base64 blocks generated in the .graffle file: it had roughly 600KB of data in it (not including spaces). I know nothing of how CMYK is encoded, but that seems rather a lot for a uni-coloured box.

I can't tell if it's an OmniGraffle or a Tangerine issue: I've raised it with Tangerine Support.

Incidentally, Tangerine is a really neat little utility for handling predefined colour swatches (as long as you steer clear of CMYK, it appears).

Steve

After converting the entire document from CMYK to RGB, I got the size down from 96 MB to 154 KB...

Steve