The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

another question about column widths Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know that this has been asked a couple of times in this forum, and I know that the answer is that you're supposed to have one window open at a time, resize the columns as you'd like, then close the window to save them.

I also know that I'm either doing something wrong or things aren't working for me. When I'm in my projects view, I resize the column to be the width I'd like, but when I switch to contexts and then back to projects, the column is now back to where it was. Same deal when working in contexts. If I resize the column and then close out omnifocus, then upon reopening the program the column width is now back to where it was.

What am I missing here?

As far as I understand having more than one window open at a time is not what the issue is here. However, view configuration should be done with a single window open; after that multiple window can be open without OmniFocus having to address possible conflicting parameters of a single perspective's view. When you are switching between Project and Context views; you are essentially changing perspectives in OmniFocus. To address the problem you need to do a few things.
  1. Choose your "Projects" view and set it up as you like.
  2. Select in the menu bar Perspectives > Take Snapshot of Projects.
  3. Select in the menu bar Perspectives > Show Perspectives (Control-Command-P).
  4. The perspectives window will open with the "Projects" perspective highlighted.
  5. Select the aspects of the view you wish to be restored under the restore heading. These include; Focus, Layout, Expansion, Selection, and you can pull settings from another perspective.

Additionally, you should notice you can have a perspective always open in a new window.

The process is similar to change the "Contexts" perspective and/or any other default or custom perspective you utilize in OmniFocus. Notice the "Take Snapshot" menu bar item is dynamic and will change to which ever perspective OmniFocus is currently using.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projects.png
Views:	1453
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perspectives.png
Views:	1476
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contexts.png
Views:	1400