The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to know if it is possible to create a library of multiple actions (things) that I can cherry pick from to put into a project without losing the items from the library list. What I would like to be able to achieve is to click and drag items from one list to another (individually) without moving the items from the original list. As an example, I have set up a list of grocery items under Inbox. If I set up a Project that is called This Weeks Shopping List and then drag items into this list from the Inbox, then I lose the original items from the Inbox. I would rather achieve the goal of copy and paste individual items rather than just moving them. Have I made sense?

Any suggestions out there?

John

You can option-click and drag an action to copy it to another location, rather than just move it.

And to make the process a bit faster, you can build up a selection with cmd-click on various items in the list and drag the whole bunch over, again with option-click (or copy/paste).

So, make up a single action list full of all your grocery staples, with a suitable context for their purchase. You could put the project on hold or drop it if you don't want to see it all the time. Then when you need to restock the larder, make a new project or single action list called "grocery shopping 1/29" or the like. Select both the staples list and the new project, drag over the necessary items and you are all set.

Thank you for the tip...so simple! Now let me ask you if you have suggestions on doing the same thing but from my shared file on my iPhone?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
And to make the process a bit faster, you can build up a selection with cmd-click on various items in the list and drag the whole bunch over, again with option-click (or copy/paste).

So, make up a single action list full of all your grocery staples, with a suitable context for their purchase. You could put the project on hold or drop it if you don't want to see it all the time. Then when you need to restock the larder, make a new project or single action list called "grocery shopping 1/29" or the like. Select both the staples list and the new project, drag over the necessary items and you are all set.
Thank you for the tip. Now do you have a suggestion for acheiving the same result from my iPhone?

John

Sorry, I can't offer you anything so easy for the iPhone. Do it on the desktop and hit the sync button? :-)

I actually do my grocery shopping/planning in a different fashion, which might be easier for the iPhone. I have a perpetual Grocery Shopping project (actually, a single action list), containing as repeating actions all the things I regularly buy, with the repeat interval adjusted to suit. When I plan to cook something that requires something out of the ordinary, I add an action to buy that ingredient, but don't set it to repeat. If I run out or am about to run out of something, I just adjust the start date on the repeating item. When something shows up on the started today list, I take a quick look at the amount I have on hand if I think I might be running errands so that I don't buy another carton of milk if we barely started the last one, for example. Typing this paragraph has taken longer than I usually spend per week maintaining this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sorry, I can't offer you anything so easy for the iPhone. Do it on the desktop and hit the sync button? :-)

I actually do my grocery shopping/planning in a different fashion, which might be easier for the iPhone. I have a perpetual Grocery Shopping project (actually, a single action list), containing as repeating actions all the things I regularly buy, with the repeat interval adjusted to suit. When I plan to cook something that requires something out of the ordinary, I add an action to buy that ingredient, but don't set it to repeat. If I run out or am about to run out of something, I just adjust the start date on the repeating item. When something shows up on the started today list, I take a quick look at the amount I have on hand if I think I might be running errands so that I don't buy another carton of milk if we barely started the last one, for example. Typing this paragraph has taken longer than I usually spend per week maintaining this system.
Thank you for the tip!

John