The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Using Action Groups on iPhone a bad idea? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
On my mac I sometimes group actions together within a project - however the title of these actions usually have meaning only when you can see the parent action. For example

Project: Prepare IT Budget
Action: Price new network switch
Children: - email Scott for price
- put price into spreadsheet

(I just made these up quickly so don't get all GTD on me)

The problem is - when I go to the iPhone and look, say for a flagged item - I see "email Scott for price", but I can't find a way to see the parent action that gives it a better context (price of what?)

I am trying to avoid for sakes of efficiency having to basically include the name of the parent action in every child action.

In the end I have gotten rid of nearly all my action groups and made them projects so that I can follow them better on the iPhone, but I think there is still valid a place for action groups, if only there was a way to move up the hierarchy.

An analogy in the Macintosh finder is where you are looking at an open folder window and you hit <Apple - up arrow> and it opens the enclosing folder. I'd love a way in OF for iPhone to "Show Parent"