The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

this is pretty frustrating Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Must say that all this software has done so far is create work for me. I think all the todos, projects, and contexts in OF are related to getting synching setup. Already setup WebDAV on my computer via Apache. This won't work, since I don't have a static IP. Already got a box.net account. No dice. Now OF trial is running out. You know this really could have been easier. The idea of spending 80 for OF + 20 for Iphone OF + 100 a year for mobile me is just a little too much. Why not host your own webdav server? Give people like 5 megs. Bake in the settings. It will cost very little. As it stands I cannot use this software without more technical research or paying more. Actually considering setting up a webdav server on EC2. That is insane for a todo app!
About to give up.

Last edited by andrew00; 2008-08-19 at 11:02 AM..

I'm sorry you've had so many problems. We are working to add a local wireless sync option so that people won't need to get a hosted WebDAV account if they don't need remote syncing.

However, since you say that WebDAV on your computer doesn't work for you because you don't have a static IP address, and a static IP address is not needed for local use, that implies that you need remote access. I can't speak for box.net as we don't in general support specific hosts (there are too many and they change too often for that to be a reasonable option for us in the common case); any WebDAV server that accurately implements the WebDAV specification should work, but a surprising number of web hosts have flawed WebDAV implementations. (I don't know if that is the case with box.net.)

As for hosting a WebDAV service ourselves, while we could perhaps conceivably do that at some point, it is not really our area of expertise and it would require a lot in order to adequately support it, in terms of basic system administration, adequate backups, failover handling, 100% on-call staff for any problems, etc. For the moment, at least, we think other companies are better positioned to handle that. (At least one company is looking at an inexpensive, limited WebDAV service that is specifically targeted to OmniFocus users.)

If you could describe the problems you are experiencing, perhaps someone would be able to provide a solution, or at least set you on the right track.

The really annoying things is that Apple won't let developers synch with the cable. This is absurd! I have to sych my computer to a webdav server in the cloud, then back down to my iphone even though they sit tethered together all day!

The IP problem is my IP changes every day, and I don't want to update OF on Iphone and Mac all the time.

I got it to work with BingoDisk.

Interested to here more about the wifi synch whenever that is avail. Or bluetooth. Or something. It's amazing how far the data is going to get the 2 feet from my macbook to the iphone.

If your iPhone and Mac are together and you have set up WebDAV on your Mac, you shouldn't need to use the IP address. Instead, use the .local name shown in the Sharing view in System Preferences - that shouldn't change, assuming your computer name is unique on your network. (It's shown in the text right below the Computer Name field.)