The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Safari 4 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, I bit the bullet and installed Safari 4 today. It's incompatible with Glims, but otherwise it is an absolute speed demon. Shall we speculate upon the ramifications for Omniweb?

Safari 4 (especially the javascript portion) is an amazing progress for Webkit and Safari.app built on top of it but still Safari is operating systems default browser and Apple can't do radical things as Omniweb or any other third party browser does.

It is the basic (in Apple quality) OS default browser. More like IE 6 on Windows. MS tries to compete with firefox and others in expense of turning the default basic browser to a mess. That is a thing Apple would never do. Just compare the simplicity of IE 5/6 interface to IE 7 and 8.

I hope I could express myself. People, especially advanced users will still need a third party independent browser built on webkit and most importantly native OS X Cocoa. Ask yourself why Firefox even after adopting Cairo acceleration isn't so popular on OS X? Or Opera which I can say as one state of art professionally written code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz View Post
... but still Safari is operating systems default browser and Apple can't do radical things as Omniweb or any other third party browser does.
I would have to disagree with you on the above. Apple has added a lot to this version of Safari. Would you say doing the tabbed titlebar is not a radical change? How about the Top Sites display? HTML5? CSS3?

Safari is blasting through and killing the competition. They have moved the browser forward faster and further than any other browser ever.

I use Safari about 98% of the time now. I tried to move back to Omniweb, but Safari is just light years ahead in rendering and speed. As long as Safari Stand keeps working, I'm using Safari.

I did wish that Omni had more resources, but looks like they are doing very well with their other products. So it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkenoyer View Post
I would have to disagree with you on the above. Apple has added a lot to this version of Safari. Would you say doing the tabbed titlebar is not a radical change? How about the Top Sites display? HTML5? CSS3?

Safari is blasting through and killing the competition. They have moved the browser forward faster and further than any other browser ever.

I use Safari about 98% of the time now. I tried to move back to Omniweb, but Safari is just light years ahead in rendering and speed. As long as Safari Stand keeps working, I'm using Safari.

I did wish that Omni had more resources, but looks like they are doing very well with their other products. So it's all good.
What I tried to mean is, Apple can't put site specific prefs and other things Omniweb does in expense of complicating the plain default browser of OS X.

I believe it is one of the reasons that Apple stays away from extensions. Compare Safari preferences to version 1 preferences for example, you will see only absolutely necessary stuff added.