The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mountain Lion and Scrollbars Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So... there's this little update coming to the Mac called Mountain Lion, some say as soon as next week.

A friend who's not me has noticed that a change to the scroll bars in Mountain Lion makes it very hard to select columns along the right edge in OmniFocus. This friend has the note button there but the scroll bar is frequently covering it and that means you have to mouse out, wait for the bar to disappear and do some jujitsu to click the button before the scroll bar disappears again. Whew.

Any plans to change OF to better accommodate the latest big cat? A friend who's not me would love to know.

I don't know anything about any future plans for omnifocus but for now your friend could try and use the keyboard shortcut for the notes:

Cmd + ' (without the + ofcourse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHillegas View Post
So... there's this little update coming to the Mac called Mountain Lion, some say as soon as next week.

A friend who's not me has noticed that a change to the scroll bars in Mountain Lion makes it very hard to select columns along the right edge in OmniFocus. This friend has the note button there but the scroll bar is frequently covering it and that means you have to mouse out, wait for the bar to disappear and do some jujitsu to click the button before the scroll bar disappears again. Whew.

Any plans to change OF to better accommodate the latest big cat? A friend who's not me would love to know.
This behavior would be the same in Lion, which is when the scrollbars changed.

You can "fix" this by going to System Preferences->General and in the "Show scroll bars" section, click Always. Then the scroll bars will always be shown (same as in Snow Leopard and earlier) and you won't have any worries about overlap.

Actually, the scrollbar behavior is a bit different in Mountain Lion - a refinement to the Lion change, hence the post. Even without the preferences change, it was easier to work around in Lion than it is now in Mountain Kitty.

Quote:
Actually, the scrollbar behavior is a bit different in Mountain Lion - a refinement to the Lion change, hence the post. Even without the preferences change, it was easier to work around in Lion than it is now in Mountain Kitty.
For someone that has a "friend that's not me" you sure seem to have some experience with Mountain Lion ;-)

That said, I'm unaware of any real behavioral changes with the scroll bars between Lion and Mountain Lion if you set them to show always. "A friend that's not me" has absolutely no difficulty selecting columns or note icons near the right side of the screen.

You caught me. :-)

The change in MoLo is that when you hover over the scrollbar track, the scrollbar now slightly zooms. It makes it easier to scroll but harder if you're trying to hit something that's in that gutter - the zoomed out version completely covers the click area for the note button.

You're right that setting the scroll bars to always be visible makes it a non-issue since the apps then have a set scroll area. I guess I was hoping for some way to leave the scrollbar setting and still hit these buttons but maybe it's just not practical and I have to make a choice. Such is life.

Thanks!

Quote:
I guess I was hoping for some way to leave the scrollbar setting and still hit these buttons
If you move the cursor away from the scrollbar (preferably out of the OF window), the scrollbar disappears after a short delay and you can click on the note button.

If your Mac has a mouse attached, the scrollbars are always visible, too.

Right, you sure can... but it's pretty annoying to have to 'play chicken' to get it to work, eh?

Does anyone else find an annoying nuisance with the auto reveal scroll bars of Mountain Lion. If I want to expand or collapse a note, the scroll bars reveal, obstruct and make it impossible to activate or click on the note icon.

Expanding the window does no good because the icons are extremely flush right without any margin or buffer.

So I find myself just leaving them expanded or otherwise not referring to them. This does disrupt my workflow.

See screen grab for visual reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF-bar-obstruction.png
Views:	1059
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2728