The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned about OF2 is the expected minimum system requirements. Will those of us clinging on to the goodness of Snow Leopard be able to use OF2 or has OmniGroup embraced the new ML only features that Apple is pushing?

I'm hopeful that the privately hosted sync service in lieu of iCloud is a positive sign for Snow Leopard compatibility. By the way, I'm absolutely thrilled that OmniGroup understands the desirability of a privately hosted cloud for those who have the need and the skills. I'm really looking forward to OmniPresence (great name BTW!)

I don't know anything specific about OmniFocus 2's requirements, but I'll point out that OmniPlan 2's current sneakypeeks contain the following in their release notes:
Note: OmniPlan 2.2 is the last release planned that will support Mac OS X 10.6 and 32 bit processors. Subsequent releases will require Mac OS X 10.7.
Whatever is driving that for OmniPlan 2 seems likely to also apply to OmniFocus 2, in my estimation. Maybe not immediately, but it seems inevitable, and I'm enjoying my remaining quality time with Snow Leopard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned about OF2 is the expected minimum system requirements. Will those of us clinging on to the goodness of Snow Leopard be able to use OF2 or has OmniGroup embraced the new ML only features that Apple is pushing?

I'm hopeful that the privately hosted sync service in lieu of iCloud is a positive sign for Snow Leopard compatibility. By the way, I'm absolutely thrilled that OmniGroup understands the desirability of a privately hosted cloud for those who have the need and the skills. I'm really looking forward to OmniPresence (great name BTW!)
For those of us in the corporate world, we need a direct sync option - no cloud service is secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
For those of us in the corporate world, we need a direct sync option - no cloud service is secure.
We're not going to require you to sync through the Omni Sync Server if that's what you're asking. Just like Ken mentioned in the blog post announcing OmniPresence, if you want to run your own server and sync through that, OmniFocus will happily do so.

(In our experience, Bonjour can be fiddly and difficult to troubleshoot when it doesn't work as expected. For that reason, we recommend WebDAV sync for most customers, but we're not removing Bonjour support. If it works for your setup, OmniFocus 2 doesn't attempt to change that.)

So happy about this, bring it on!

Great news. Omni is a great company. Legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We're not going to require you to sync through the Omni Sync Server if that's what you're asking. Just like Ken mentioned in the blog post announcing OmniPresence, if you want to run your own server and sync through that, OmniFocus will happily do so.

(In our experience, Bonjour can be fiddly and difficult to troubleshoot when it doesn't work as expected. For that reason, we recommend WebDAV sync for most customers, but we're not removing Bonjour support. If it works for your setup, OmniFocus 2 doesn't attempt to change that.)
I got similar news from your support folks (outstanding as always), and all I can say is:

Yay!

VERY glad to see that Bonjour is still going to be there (it works great as long as you don't fat finger the firewall settings and block the daemon!)

Running our own server also isn't permitted (our CIO doesn't like rogue apps running on the network, and there's other obstacles like not wanting to put personal info on company servers too). Trying to install WebDAV on our own laptops is rather painful to configure in a secure fashion (and far beyond the capability of most users).

Thanks again for Bonjour!

Plus 1 for livestream or video of the event !!!

I don't see an RSVP link or button on the notice...is that required?

Hey folks....I'm not usually too talkative on these threads, but have been a longtime OmniFocus user, and am super excited about the event coming up this week!

We got an exclusive interview with Ken Case about the event & OmniFocus 2, and wanted to share it with everyone. Check it! - http://buff.ly/UzMuRZ