The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 2! The Debut. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Will there be a livestream or at least video of the event?

No live stream, but I know the team is currently planning to record the presentation and make videos available afterwards. Hope that helps!

I was very pleased to see that a temporary license for OmniFocus v1 has been made available to extend the trial period, until (I am presuming) v2 is released. See the blog for details

I was concerned that I would have to either pay more to upgrade to v2 when released or have to go through some upgrade rigamarole having purchased v1 so close to the release of v2.

Much appreciated as I was thoroughly impressed by v1 of the tool; now I eagerly await the new release and can continue using v1 in the meantime.

John

The temporary license is only until the Debut event, not all the way until OmniFocus 2 is released.

I was hoping the code would work at least until public beta unless there is a free/cheap upgrade path for those of us who want to keep using it until the 2.0 release but do not want to pay twice

The license code expires 2/7/13, a week after the big reveal. There's nothing stopping Omni from dribbling out a series of temporary license codes if they choose to do so; they had the foresight to build that functionality into their license code. Nothing concrete has been said about the expected length of the private beta before the public beta; however, the fact that they are issuing a key at all suggests to me that they understand that people will not want to buy immediately before 2.0 goes into beta and will continue issuing time-limited keys (including for the beta) so that those just now joining the OmniFocus party are not penalized. If you want to use OmniFocus for the long term, you'll have to buy it, of course, but someone buying now on the eve of a new version shouldn't have to worry about "buying it twice" with Omni's very customer-friendly track record. That's just my opinion, I don't work for Omni and don't have any information about the OF 2 beta that you couldn't have read somewhere on the Omni website.

If you are just coming to the party, I think it would be a bit imprudent to immediately trust your production data to anyone's brand-new beta test version of a new product. There's enough of a challenge in coming to grips with OmniFocus when everything is working as intended! There will be bugs. And after those are promptly squashed, there will be more :-) Nothing Ken has revealed suggests the initial version will have substantial new functionality that cannot be achieved in some fashion in OF today. Don't be like the chumps who upgrade their production systems to the latest operating release the day it comes out only to discover Monday morning that no one in the office can print!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned about OF2 is the expected minimum system requirements. Will those of us clinging on to the goodness of Snow Leopard be able to use OF2 or has OmniGroup embraced the new ML only features that Apple is pushing?

I'm hopeful that the privately hosted sync service in lieu of iCloud is a positive sign for Snow Leopard compatibility. By the way, I'm absolutely thrilled that OmniGroup understands the desirability of a privately hosted cloud for those who have the need and the skills. I'm really looking forward to OmniPresence (great name BTW!)
For those of us in the corporate world, we need a direct sync option - no cloud service is secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotka View Post
For those of us in the corporate world, we need a direct sync option - no cloud service is secure.
We're not going to require you to sync through the Omni Sync Server if that's what you're asking. Just like Ken mentioned in the blog post announcing OmniPresence, if you want to run your own server and sync through that, OmniFocus will happily do so.

(In our experience, Bonjour can be fiddly and difficult to troubleshoot when it doesn't work as expected. For that reason, we recommend WebDAV sync for most customers, but we're not removing Bonjour support. If it works for your setup, OmniFocus 2 doesn't attempt to change that.)

So happy about this, bring it on!

Great news. Omni is a great company. Legendary.