The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Two next Actions - rest hidden Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd be grateful for some 'how to' suggestions.

Project is generally sequential, but there are 2 possible next actions, depending on context.

Project is Repair 'Widget' the two possible next actions are:
- Find box widget came in (@home)
- Locate repair service (@internet)

The other actions - pack up widget, determine best parcel service, send parcel, wait for return of widget, test widget should all be hidden as they are not relevant until one or more of the first two is complete.

What is the best way to accomplish this on the iPad? I'd like to keep everything in one project if possible

Tia

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrob View Post
Project is Repair 'Widget' the two possible next actions are:
- Find box widget came in (@home)
- Locate repair service (@internet

How about making two sub tasks for prepare and ship under the main task?

Repair widget
- prepare
-- find box
-- locate repair service task.
- ship
-- (remaining actions)

If you set the top level to sequential then with the view set to available all you should see will be the two items in the prepare task ( I think! I guess i should really check that before posting but until Apple hurry up and give us iOS4 for the pad I'm stuck on the forum!)

Hello RiK

That seems to have worked - Thanks for the swift reply.

But it does seem to indicate that grouped actions within a project (or sub projects) can't themselves be anything other than parallel - Oh well, will cross that bridge when I get to it being a problem.

Regards

Phil

Glad it worked :)

Proof positive that my brain works better with a plentiful supply of caffeine as I posted that whilst noodling the coffee shop...

Actions groups can be set to parallel or sequential using desktop OF. The UI to change that setting on the iPad didn't make it into the initial release. Hopefully soon!

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Actions groups can be set to parallel or sequential using desktop OF. The UI to change that setting on the iPad didn't make it into the initial release. Hopefully soon!
Which is a very strange oversight, IMO

Yep. We caught it in beta testing, but no one (that I know of) thought it was important enough to delay shipping. I think that was the right decision, since OF is already the most used app on my iPad.

Curt