The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Palm Synch Help Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Omnigroup,

Just received my first Mac and am slowly switching over from Windows. I was very glad to find such an excellent outlining program. I found it through the kinkless website. Both of your products were being talked about in the Getting Things Done group on Yahoo.

I was wondering if there was any way to synch your outlines into a palm device such as my Treo 650. If not, are there any plans by Omnigroup to develop a handheld version to go along with the desktop?

Thanks again.

You're going to hear it over and over here, but take a look at Kinkless GTD : http://kinkless.com/. It's a set up applescripts set up to make GTD work great with OmniOutliner, and it synchronizes with iCal, which will then sync down to your palm.... I'm using it with my Tungsten T3 and it works great (though I am using MarkSpace's Missing Sync to sync with ical...)

George

I am actually using kinkless, so I will look into synching in the manner you described. Would you recommend purchasing The Missing Synch to make this process easier in getting my OmniOutliner items over? I looked at their website and there doesn't seem to be a trial version offered anywhere.

Thanks

George is right of course in all that he points out. But I think your question was about how to transfer over outlines rather than iCal tasks.

Currently you must work with an outliner (a good one at least on the Palm side) called ShadowPlan. It comes with Windows and Mac desktop versions also. This can sync over ShadowPlan outlines between the two versions.

For a while there was a set of Applescripts called OmniShadow which permitted Omni outlines to be synced over to the Palm Shadow app. It worked really well until Tiger when it died for me.

http://homepage.mac.com/james_sorenson/omnishadow.html

There must also be some way you can export an OOP file into Shadow desktop and then sync over to the Palm by hand.

But it's all became a bit klutzy for me once the simple link in OmniShadow was broken.

I tend to just export the file as RTF and then use my Docs To Go to sync it over. It doesn't function as an outline but I can at least read them.

After doing some web surfing I was also able to find a script that lets you export from OmniOutliner to Brainforest. This is great because Brainforest is offered on both platforms (I had already purchased it for Windows) and offers a desktop and Palm version. This should allow one to easily put OmniOutliner outlines on a Treo or other palm based device. I am still interested in trying out ShadowPlan too. Thanks for the info.

What about OmniOutliner -> Palm Memos.

I absolutley LIVE on my Palm and use Memos (about 300+). Missing Sync has a nice little OSX memo app, but it lacks in some areas (speed, ability). Anyone doing an OmniOutliner to Palm Sync?

BZ

I, too, just bought my first MAC (notebook) and I love it but I'm having some issues learning and converting what I had from windows to the MAC.