The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Attaching links to files in a task note Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another possibility: From where are you dragging the file? Is the file a local hard drive?

Curt

@kaijin: command-option-drag doesn't do the trick.

@Greg: Following the 'Edit>Attach File...' path produces the same image in my task notes field

@Curt: The file is coming from my iTunes music folder on my laptop...ie local hard drive.

I experimented with several other files and another movie format and was able to obtain the desired result. It appears to me that .mov files will not work this way. I will submit this as a bug.

Thanks everybody.

I've never linked a .mov file to a OF task before, but I just tried it and a) I got the same dialog window that you posted above, and b) once linked, the file behaved just like any other file I've linked in OF. I tried it with both the 'Alias' button and the 'Copy' button and it worked as expected. Perhaps there is something about the .mov file that you are working with. Do you have any other .mov files that you can test with?

@Greg...maybe I'm expecting the wrong thing. When I link to my other movie files (mpeg-4's), it just puts an icon of the file that launches the movie in QuickTime when I double click it. I have a bunch of .mov files (podcasts) that exhibit the same behavior as the file I posted. When I attach the file (whether dragging and dropping or "edit>attach file," the entire first frame of the .mov file is pasted in the note field of the task. I'm stymied as to why this isn't happening with your files, but is with mine.

When you have an image attachment of a certain size or smaller, the contents of the file are displayed in the OmniFocus note field. I don't recall the cut-off size, but I think it was around 512x512 pixels. Anything larger is displayed as an icon.

Is it possible that this behavior holds true for QuickTime movies as well? I've never actually tried it myself.

Another thing you might want to try is right-click on the attachment in the note field. Do you see a "Reveal in Finder" option? If so, does it actually show you the original file in the Finder? If so, I think your movie *is* a link rather than an embedded file.

-Dennis

UPDATE: Here we go. This is the post from Ken I was thinking of.

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-08-30 at 09:08 PM..

I'm betting that Dennis has the answer for you-I completely forgot about this feature. Note that the link that Dennis provided tell you how to use terminal to increase the threshold for inline display, but obviously you can enter a value to make it as small as you would like also.

@Toadling & @Greg...I tried the terminal command, using 10 instead of 1000...but still had no luck.

The ninjas are trying to work it out for me too. Thanks for everything.