The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mail +omnifocus rule behavior Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When sending or forwarding an email to my address using the +omnifocus rule, OF splits the message into multiple actions in the OF Inbox based on whether dashes (-- etc) are in the message.

This is an issue for forwarding messages as these messages are surrounded by "-----Original Message-----"...it is a real pain to have one message split into multiple actions!

I did a simple test by sending an email to my +omnifocus address with subject "Test" and then in the body of the email, I put the following text:

----- test1
--- test2
-- test3

OF splits this email into four actions - the first action is the Subject and the next three are test1, test2 and test3, with two dashes stripped of the front of each line as below (and see attached screenshot of my Inbox).

--- test1
- test2
test3

Can anyone else replicate this? I just want one email, one action...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF_splitting.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	482  

You're doing better than me. I can't seem to get any forwarded email to show up in my OF inbox. Mail is processing the rule and archiving them but they don't show up in OF. I change the subject to what I want the action name to be, I've deleted the forwarding info in the body (e.g. "JoeBlow@gmail.com wrote:" and still can't get the email to go to OF. I've also searched all OF tasks to see if something in the mail triggered it to go to an established project but that doesn't happen either. It just doesn't show up.

Sending new emails works perfectly. It's just forwarded ones.

Any help I'd appreciate, too.

Last edited by DJ-Rizzo; 2008-02-27 at 06:30 PM..

I'd appreciate a reply on this too. Mail processes my emails no problem, but the tasks themselves only sporadically show up in OmniFocus - sometimes it works, sometimes not. This unreliability is tricky - you need to be able to trust the system for it to be any use.

I've been using the "--" before the subject method and haven't seen any problems. I log about a dozen actions a week this way. I'm running 10.5.2 and the most recent OmniFocus 1.0.2 sneaky peak build.

@crocusnedloyd - Are you using the "--" method or "+omnifocus"?

I've been using the "--" method, and most of the time it works perfectly. What's worrying is the 5% it doesn't work. I've tried stopping and starting the rule, relaunching Mail and OF, moving the rule to the top of the list in Mail Preferences, moving it to the bottom again. Actually, for now it's working, but I wanted to know if anyone else had seen this sporadic behaviour. Thanks for your input.