The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Feat Req: Launch OF With: Due Soon Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Congrats on the speedier 1.2.3 release!

I'd love to just be able to click the OmniFocus icon and go straight to my to-do list. The "home page," by and large, is just a pesky intermediary that lies between me and Getting Things Done.

Can we have a setting such as:

Launch OmniFocus With: Home Page | Due Soon

Many thanks for the consideration.

In related news: I recently figured out that my OmniFocus for Mac's "Default Time for Due Dates" was set to 12am. Hence, what I envisioned as being due "today" was really Overdue as soon as the day was one minute old! So a tip for users with this issue: Reset that value to 11:59pm... and Omni Dev may want to consider putting 11:59pm as the default, rather than 12am (perhaps the most recent release does so already).

I second the motion to change the default due times in OmniFocus.

It would also be nice to be able to change the default due times in OmniFocus for iPhone.

I have already submitted these ideas to Omni - you should too!

The due time on the iPhone should really be the same as the default that is set in the desktop (e.g. 18:00 for me, see below). It does it for the "Due soon" setting, so why not the time too?

Personally, I hate having to constantly change the due time for actions I add to the phone...

To augment my feature request, I think my ideal "start page" would be a combination of the "Overdue" items and the "Due Soon" items.

This is quite parallel to my default start page when I fire up OmniFocus on my Mac: The "Contexts" folder is highlighted, and items are sorted by when they are due. The overdue ones come first, followed by those Due Today, then Due Tomorrow, etc.

Eventually, we plan to sync the due time setting over from the Mac, if one exists, and provide user interface for setting it on the phone if you're not syncing. We just haven't had a chance to do that work yet.

We're unlikely to change the default, though. Here's a hypothetical: assume the customer means to set a due time when adding an action, but forgets to do so.

The current default will label the action as overdue when it really isn't; the customer may be a bit annoyed, but they still have time to accomplish the action before the real deadline, whatever it may be. In this case, being annoyed is arguably a feature; it means you noticed the action. :-)

If we assume that an action isn't overdue until 11:59 PM, the customer may not be able to accomplish the action at all. (Say they need to call someone, or visit a store which is now closed.)

JKT:
I don't know why I never thought of that, but it's a wonderful idea. Maybe someone suggested it, but it never really worked out right in my brain, but now that you've shown me that simple trick of having the due time later in the day, my life got just a little bit better. Now I can see what's due in the contexts that I'm not currently viewing.

Thank you.

Well, I figured that most of the important due times I would have would relate to work, so I set it for the end of my work day. However, it does make it a bit of a pain using the iPhone app as you will need to alter all due times if you want to remain consistent between ones assigned by the desktop and the iPhone... so I hope you can add that synching feature soon Brian!