The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Repeating Actions? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK - how do I set up repeating actions? I have the latest version, but can't figure it out. This is one of the hot features for me. TIA.

First, make sure you have the Repeat Inspector open. It's really hard to miss it in the menu. Next, select a test action with a due date. The Inspector should be pretty self-explanatory. Fixed just means that even if you click it a few days late, it will still calculate the next date from the prior due date, rather than when you clicked it.

:)) yeah - guess that was pretty hard to miss. I have a tendency to only look in the menu when I have to. I expected something on the task line. Might be something to look at in the future like the duration and calendar icons - have a repeat icon that I can click to show the inspector.

The repeat icon would be nice in the display, so that you can differentiate a repeating action from a non-repeating action.

Make sure you set a start date on your repeating action, or it will behave strangely!

(Maybe OF should enter a default start date of Today for repeating actions?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rye
Make sure you set a start date on your repeating action, or it will behave strangely!
Due date works as well instead of a start date.

It will work once, but if you do not have both entered, the repeating action will consistently come up as a next action. If you have a sequence of actions that all happen after each other, that means the ones below it will never show up in context view. So you need a start date set to earlier in the day, and a due date set to later (though it seems to work fine if they are the same). That way, it will stay inactive until the start date arrives.

My preferred way of handling it would be to allow repeat syntax right in the due column. I think I posted something along those lines in another thread. I'd love to be able to type "19 jun +3w" to mean: Do this on the 19th, and then every 3 weeks afterward. Then you don't waste a column, and can do everything with the keyboard.

Addenda: Good point, I think auto-filling the start date the same way it auto-fills it when you check it off would be a good idea, if the field is already blank. Having to fill out three fields is a bit cumbersome.

Last edited by AmberV; 2007-06-08 at 09:14 AM..