The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adding New Context on 1.1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am running Sneakypeek, and trying to add a new context. Right now, it seems to be not accepting contexts. Are there any tricks to adding a new context?

Seeing no problems here - can you be more specific about how you are trying to add a context?

Do you have your perspective set to just show Active contexts? If so, a new context with no actions won't be visible.

Curt

I got it. It appears I have to be in context mode to add contexts. I was in planning mode and just trying to key them in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrael View Post
I got it. It appears I have to be in context mode to add contexts. I was in planning mode and just trying to key them in there
You can do that, as you enter or edit actions. When you get to the context field, type the full name of your desired new context, and then <cmd>-<return>. Instant new context. However, if you are trying to create a nested context by typing "foo : bar<cmd>-<return>", that doesn't quite work right. You will get a "foo : bar" context, but it won't be nested in the existing "foo" context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
However, if you are trying to create a nested context by typing "foo : bar<cmd>-<return>", that doesn't quite work right. You will get a "foo : bar" context, but it won't be nested in the existing "foo" context.
Its a pretty challenging UI problem to solve to get this to work. Perhaps if there was a way to confirm a partial completion, say I start typing work

I type Wor

and I see:

Work
Work:Desk
Work:Board Meeting

I want to create "Work:Lab"

I select just the plain "Work" and then type something like CMD-RightArrow - this confirms the "Work" part of the path, I can then keep typing and get the option to CMD-Tab to create the new hierarchical location.

This technique would work for any depth of hierarchy.

-P

No, I don't think there's a difficult issue here, we're not talking about auto-completion when we do the <cmd>-<return> thing. We've got a fully-specified context name. All that needs to be done is to do a lookup to see if the enclosing context already exists, and if so, insert the new item there, just as if we had made it at the top level with the + button and dragged it into place.

If my contexts look like:

Computer
Errands
Bank
Grocery store
Hardware store
Post office
Home
Office

and I type "Errands:UPS<cmd>-<return>" into a context field,

my new context list ought to look like:

Computer
Errands
Bank
Grocery store
Hardware store
Post office
UPS
Home
Office

not the way it does today with 1.1:

Computer
Errands
Bank
Grocery store
Hardware store
Post office
Home
Office
Errands
UPS

Take the first component of the new context name, and the tree of all existing contexts. If there is only one component in the new context name, insert it at the end of the list, you're done. Otherwise, look for a match in the list. If there isn't one, create a folder with the initial component as the name. Now repeat the process in that context tree that you've either found or created, using the remaining portion of the new context name.