The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text zooming coming in OmniOutliner 4? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I hope they make the general font size (in the menu items etc..) larger in OO4, the font is all the way too small to be comfortable to use in 17" Macbook Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
I hope they make the general font size (in the menu items etc..) larger in OO4, the font is all the way too small to be comfortable to use in 17" Macbook Pro.
Yes, the magnification issue has been the one thing that's prevented me over the years from really using OO, even though I've had the product for some time. I'm not talking about font size (which I want "normal" for printing purposes), I mean the ability to magnify the text for all my outlining and notes. I've always suspected Omni uses young programmers who have good eyesight - can't wait for them to begin aging and see the need for larger on-screen text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
We can't change the size of menu items (it's dictated by the operating system and is the same in all apps), but we do plan to add text zooming support in OmniOutliner 4 (much like we've now done in OmniOutliner for iPad).

Great! Good to know. I'm now looking forward to version 4.

Is it my imagination or do files transferred from the iPad retain the level of zoom chosen on the iPad?

It does. Anyone have any clues how to set it back again on the Mac side? Zoom window control seems to have no effect. This is a pain.

In the Finder, select the OO document, and do Show Package Contents from the gear menu or the contextual popup menu. You'll get a new window that contains a contents.xml file and possibly some other files. Open the contents.xml file with a suitable editor (TextWrangler works and is free) and search for a line that looks something like:

Code:
  <editor content-size="{699, 764}" scroll-position="{0, 3106}" scale="1.5" column-titles-display-mode="auto" status-visible="no">
Remove the scale="1.5" directive and save the file. You should now be back at 100% zoom. The value of the scale factor is the zoom percentage/100, so 1.5 represents a 150% zoom, 2 represents 200% zoom, etc. Might not be a bad idea to make a backup of the file first. Make sure you don't have the file open in OmniOutliner while you are doing this.

Wait, does this mean that there's a hack way to give a zoom-like functionality on osx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb View Post
Wait, does this mean that there's a hack way to give a zoom-like functionality on osx?
This was my first reaction, too.

I've been whining, I am pretty sure, about text zoom for a very long time. (If text zoom is actually in the beta app, sign me up to try it out.)