The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request - Lockable Document Elements Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just a thought, but it would be nice to be able to 'lock' portions or settings of a document. This would include columns, rows, sections and other document level attributes.

For example, the ability to 'lock' columns to prevent editing. This would provide a way to prevent changes to certain columns in a document (say, text or date columns), yet allow for other columns (such as checkboxes) to be changed or updated.

Any column or column type could be locked. This would be controlled from the Column Inspector.
Locking a column would:
* Prevent any changes to the column
* Prevent column level Style changes

Any row could be locked. This would be controlled from the Row Inspector.
Locking a row would:
* Prevent any changes to the row, including notes
* Prevent any changes to the row's children
* Prevent row level Style changes

Any section or subsection could be locked. This would be controlled from a new Section Inspector.
Locking a section or subsection would:
* Prevent any changes to the section, including reordering
* Prevent section level Style changes

Also, from the Document Inspector:
* The option to lock the row 'Status Checkboxes'
* The option to lock all 'Notes'
* The option to use the Status Checkbox to lock a row
* The option to lock the entire document. This would the would prevent content changes, reordering, adding columns or rows, and Style changes.

This would need to be implemented in a hierarchal fashion, where document level locks override section level locks, which override column level locks, which would override row level locks.

Though this is rough, it would allow for flexibility during collaboration without exposing certain items or data to unwanted changes.

Any thoughts?

That's something I am definitely looking at. Here's the case:

I am creating documents that I give to other folks to report what they've done. I am now in the process to automatize the general report from the feedback I get.

But, if they modify the structure of the document, move stuff around, the general report I will do will be weaken or faulty.

Last edited by JBaptiste; 2006-05-16 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Correcting my bad English

That's a good idea. I could use that all right.

I agree!

I want to be able to check the box tha tthe item is done, then not be able to accidentally change something..

I use omni to keep track of version controlls, and i want to be able to lock a verison when its done so i cant screw myself up.

Hello folks,

I'm not sure if any of this stuff got implemented but if not, I agree that it would be very useful.

Another feature request that I have is to be able to have more control over the sections and sub-section in the slide out window. It would be really cool if there were the control triangles (I know they have a proper name but it escapes me at the moment) in that window as well to expand and collapse with a single mouse click.

Thanks.

Disclosure triangles, fwiw.

Quote:
Another feature request that I have is to be able to have more control over the sections and sub-section in the slide out window. It would be really cool if there were the control triangles (I know they have a proper name but it escapes me at the moment) in that window as well to expand and collapse with a single mouse click.
You can simply double click on the Section icon in the Utility Drawer and its SubSections will appear.

WrongSizeGlass,

I am aware of that functionality but I find it easier to use the triangles vs. the method you describe. Also, my expectation with your method would be that all sub-sections are expanded, not just the current section - but again, that's my specific intuitive expectation.

Having the rotating triangle at each level where children are present is much more intuitive to me being that it would then mirror what exists in the body of the document.

FWIW

Hello Omni Team - any update on this feature request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleding View Post
Hello Omni Team - any update on this feature request?
I don't think they even considered adding the disclosure triangles that you requested let alone the Lockable Document Elements that I outlined. Since they never commented on this thread who knows if they even read it.

AFAIK there isn't a list of features to be included, or even under consideration, for OOP v4 that OG has made public. They started asking for suggestions in early '06 and so far not a peep as to what v4 will be or when it will emerge.

WSG