The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

learning from Mori and TAO Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A couple of things are preventing me from using OmniOutliner Pro and never looking back. First of all, clones, which I hope are coming soon.

But less obviously, I like having "date modified" being automatically created, so I can sort my outline and easily see recent updates. Also, when sorting, Mori allows you to do it non-destructively by simply clicking on a column name to switch between ascending/descending/original order. As far as I can tell, Omni can't do that -- I find this useful, I don't want to be limited to sorting by alphabetical or column criteria, I might want to rank things by importance or convenience without using a column to do it.

Finally, a feature wish that is not available anywhere yet, is using tags to create categories instead of columns. This is promised in a future version of Mori. Just like all those bookmarking sites, this seems a better way (in some cases at least) to categorize things instead of creating many columns. How that would be dealt with in the UI, I'm not sure. Something to consider.

I didn't mention TAO, but it has a lot of cool power features as well, although a hideous UI. I think it will be a lot easier for Omni to incorporate some of these features, than for others to copy Omni's superior interface and style/output options. So please add all conceivable outlining features in the next version. Thanks...:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH
A couple of things are preventing me from using OmniOutliner Pro and never looking back. First of all, clones, which I hope are coming soon.

But less obviously, I like having "date modified" being automatically created, so I can sort my outline and easily see recent updates...
I completely agree with you on both clones/aliases and on meta-data for entries (i.e. your 'auto-entered/modified' dates) being such useful additions.

How exactly the later feature should be implemented is a big question -- one way worth considering would be to simply to offer a set of variables that can be inserted into any text field as OmniGraffle offers, which would allow these values to be used more broadly than just adding special-case date column(s).

e.g. variables could be mixed in with manually edited text, with other variables to create uniques ids, or just used on their own etc.... obviously it's just basic database/spreadsheet field concatenation stuff, but even at a basic level it would make a big difference to OO. :)

I would also like to have all those great features:
  • Clones
  • Internal hyperlinks
  • Date modified
  • Tags
  • A better and easier AppleScript reference

Could anybody from Omni tell us if these expectations are realistic?
In any case, lots of thanks for the App in it current state. But clones will really, really, really help me a lot. I think that one of the reasons they are not in OO3 is it is not so easy to visualize them with the same elegance everything in this beatiful app is done. However, I have no doubts this team is able to cope with that.
Michael