The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

hide note and key/value pair popup? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This should be an easy one, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out.

I imported a stencil in which the objects are populated with many key:value pairs. These are useful, but I don't want to see them every time I hover over the object with the cursor. Is there a way to hide these? If I delete all of them, there is no popup, but I see these being useful when I choose to go investigate.

AFAIK, we do not have a "Show/Hide Notes" and "Show/Hide Key:Value Pairs" in the Preferences. You need to post a Feature Request via Help/SendFeedback.

Until then, be careful where you hover ;-}

Hi I'm just wondering if there is a way to suppress the note popups when you hover over objects? 99% of the time, when one imports a visio stencil from places like visiocafe, they come with notes for the object. When you hover over the object, the note will popup. This hovering can be very annoying and I can't figure out how to defeat this feature??

Would you settle for being rid of the notes altogether? An Applescript that just strips them out of the current document should be easy enough. Otherwise, as Derek said, make a feature request with Help->Send Feedback.

Stripping notes out is certainly straightforward, though irreversible ...

Code:
-- CAUTION !! DESTROYS NOTES PERMANENTLY …
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set notes of graphics to ""
There is, however, a bit of a land-mine to avoid if you start to experiment with using script to strip out User Data key/value pairs.

NEVER RUN THIS:
(on my system it proves fatally data-destroying ...)
Code:
-- CAUTION !! DESTROYS WHOLE DOCUMENTS PERMANENTLY … (RENDERS THEM UNSAVEABLE, FOR SOME REASON …)
-- OS X 10.7 OmniGraffle/5.4/beta2-139.3
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {name:""}

Just to underscore the importance of never running any variant of the line of code above, it doesn't just render documents unsaveable, it also puts shapes into a state which prevents the clipboard from copying them.

My copy of OG has crashed a couple of times at this point, but if curiosity has got the better of you, and you have reached this stage without a crash, then you may be able to restore to the saveability of the document, and the copiability of its shapes, with an emergency repair line like:

Code:
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {_name:""}
(the underscore is the key)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-09 at 11.12.52.png
Views:	930
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2374  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Just to underscore the importance of never running any variant of the line of code above, it doesn't just render documents unsaveable, it also puts shapes into a state which prevents the clipboard from copying them.
It's all good fun until someone loses an eye :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's all good fun until someone loses an eye :-)
Indeed ...

The Note inspector comes with protective eye-wear – 'name' as a key is safely transmuted to |name| behind the scenes.

The goggles seem to have fallen off, however, in the writing of the Applescript interface.
The following is safe enough (though it deletes any existing user data):

Code:
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {|name|:""}
but without those vertical pipe characters the walls of Jericho come tumbling down ....