The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 upgrade pricing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I will be buying the iPad OO on release but don't yet have the desktop version.

I'll definitely want the desktop version as a companion to the iPad one, and I know that a gloriously re-architected OO4 is arriving soon-ish.

My question is: if I buy OO3.X now (cos I'm impatient) and OO4 comes out in a month, will it likely be a free or paid upgrade?

I understand that the situation might be different if I buy from the App store (where apple dictate terms) than if I buy direct from Omni.

Any views?

Thanks.

I have no insight on upgrade pricing, however... Personally I would never buy an Omni app from the Mac Apple store-there are many advantages to purchasing direct as pointed out in this blog post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
My question is: if I buy OO3.X now (cos I'm impatient) and OO4 comes out in a month, will it likely be a free or paid upgrade.
We typically don't pre-announce anything about pricing (because we don't decide on it until we know what we've built!), but I will say that anyone purchasing OmniOutliner 3 at this point will receive a free upgrade to OmniOutliner 4 (whether they purchase through our online store or the App Store).

Last edited by Ken Case; 2011-05-13 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: added a missing pronoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We typically don't pre-announce anything about pricing (because we don't decide on until we know what we've built!), but I will say that anyone purchasing OmniOutliner 3 at this point will receive a free upgrade to OmniOutliner 4 (whether they purchase through our online store or the App Store).
OK - thanks, that makes the decision easier :-)

Quote:
We typically don't pre-announce anything about pricing (because we don't decide on it until we know what we've built!), but I will say that anyone purchasing OmniOutliner 3 at this point will receive a free upgrade to OmniOutliner 4 (whether they purchase through our online store or the App Store).
And...I'm in! Thanks, Ken. (Just bought OmniOutliner for iPad, too.)

Quote:
This is why I am becoming a loyal Omnivore. I, too, just purchased the iPad version, but wanted the corresponding Mac application.

Thank you, Ken, for allowing new users to jump into both purchases without any remorse of a new product costing us more in a short time.

Well done.

Good news for all the new OmniUsers.

I think this post deserves a sticky one, until OO4 is out.

Wow, I have been on the sidelines about OO3 for years for various reasons, including no iOS version. Now the iPad version is announced, and a free upgrade to version 4. I'm in for both.

My only hesitation was that there was no iPhone version, but reading the threads I have to assume it will be here in the future.

Thanks for the info,
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCowpie View Post
My only hesitation was that there was no iPhone version, but reading the threads I have to assume it will be here in the future.
Making that assumption is a mistake, unless you are incredibly patient. No promises have been made, only statements that they would like to make one, and warnings that they have no concrete plans to do so. Much safer to expect it won't happen in any sort of an interesting timeframe, and be pleasantly surprised if proven wrong. There are way too many big projects that they have publicly committed to still outstanding, and a steady stream of enhancements to the existing products that have already shipped soaks up quite a bit of time as well. If we were talking about making a version for a slightly smaller screen, with just a bit of tuning for the change of screen size, that'd be one thing, but I don't think you could feasibly use the UI from any of the Omni iPad apps on an iPhone, any more than the UI from any of the desktop apps would be a good fit on the iPad. Don't misunderstand me, I've loved OO for many years, and even contemplated writing my own OO outline viewer for the iPhone/iPod touch — you did the right thing buying, just don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting that you're going to see it on your iPhone soon! After all, the CEO of the company says he wants it, and it's been possible to write iPhone apps for some years now. To me, that says it is difficult, they have bigger fish to fry, or most likely both.

I am going to be patient on this one only because I have a workaround using Taskpaper for some of the content that changes frequently. The other data I have is a little more static and is usually changed when I am on my Mac.

But I agree with your points. The movement of the Omni Group sometimes seems glacial, as witnessed by OO4 still not being released yet. I will wait as patiently as I can on this one. We can only hope it is sooner rather than later.

Vince