The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal, narrowing what goes, and when Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Pardon me if I've missed (or forgotten) anything so far.

Are there any practical suggestions (besides scripting) for narrowing down what makes it to iCal from any given Context? I really don't want everything within a Context going there. I know I don't have to sync every Context, and that does help some, but I thought maybe only the Due Soon items would sync. That would be a nice way to keep iCal a bit more manageable.

It would also be cool if OF would just make calendars in an OF Calendar Group that matched the Context Names (I know I can make them myself). Then it would be also cool if OF would let me set which contexts sync simply from the context view (rather than having to go to preferences) or even a select all in Perspectives (Select All Visible/Due Soon to sync to iCal). That way I could just sync what I need to schedule given the contexts relevant for the coming day(s). And finally it would be cool if OF would just keep iCal in sync (every time I changed something in a synced Context) without me having to remember to manually sync.

The whole iCal sync issue is what kept me away from OF for so long, and it will remain the main thing I'll be hoping gets a lot of attention. I just want to be able to schedule my tasks, not just my appts..

I think that getting OF down to just the actions that are important that week is the key to managing actions in OF. Likewise, if they are under control in OF, they will be under control in iCal.

What I do is take any project that I'm not going to deal with that week and put in on hold. So, all of it's actions will no longer be in the contexts in OF nor get synced to iCal.

Also, I nice thing to do to hide things in OF context until a specific day of the week is to assign the project a start date, and set the context mode to only show actions that are available. Likewise, those actions won't be in the context until the start date and time are reached. I especially like this for the iPhone since it really cuts the list of actions done to the most important ones at any given time.

So, a simple example would be something like taking the trash out. It has to go out on Sunday, so it has a due date of Sunday. But I also give it a start date of Sunday. So, all week it won't be in the contexts of OF until Sunday. It will be on the calendar though.

I actually prefer BusyCal because it shows dated To Do's a.k.a. actions on the calendar day as well as in the To Do list.

Hope that helps.