The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Copying backups to a Windows server Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I'm lucky that I work from Home every Monday. In order to do this I need to be able to keep my work and home machines in sync, something I do using the companies windows file server and a copy of Chronosync. All was fine until I added the Omnifocus backup directory into my list of synchronized folders and Chronosync started throwing errors about bad filenames.

I poked around a bit and found that the Omnifocus backup is actually a folder with an XML file in it . . . and the XML filename has a / in it. Clearly this is what's causing the fileserver the problem.

Now I can, and will have to, compress the backups so that the fileserver can't actually see that file in order for the backups to work - but is there any chance that the backups can be renamed . . . please?!?

You could back up to a disk image on the server. Make a sparse bundle-style image (assuming you have Leopard) and just mount it before you sync/back up.

I think I might just end up creating backups into a drop box which then adds the backup into an archive in the Sync'd area of the disc . . . it's all hassle though - all for the sake of a / in the XML filename

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodrell View Post
I poked around a bit and found that the Omnifocus backup is actually a folder with an XML file in it . . . and the XML filename has a / in it. Clearly this is what's causing the fileserver the problem.

Now I can, and will have to, compress the backups so that the fileserver can't actually see that file in order for the backups to work - but is there any chance that the backups can be renamed . . . please?!?
We've fixed this in 1.1.

A warning when copying the OF database package to a Windows server: make sure all the files inside the package are copying.

When I back up to the Windows server I am on, it looks like it is copying (I see all the file names flash by on my back up software) but the OmniFocus package ends up with no files in it! (BTW: I didn't have any problems with any bad file name characters.)

I found this out the hardway when I had a database problems and went to restore from my backup... and nothing was there!

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've fixed this in 1.1.
Cracking, thanks :-)