The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to create key-value pairs when creating a shape Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I believe there is a way to do this, however it's outside of my brain at the moment, I'll have to check with engineering about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I believe there is a way to do this, however it's outside of my brain at the moment, I'll have to check with engineering about it.
I was looking for exactly this functionality. I'd like to create a template/shape/stencil that will pull key/value pairs from the objects and place the values on the shape. A simple example is an org chart:

<<title>>
<<name>>

Might be displayed as

Chief Executive Officer
Steve Jobs

Please let me know if this is possible...

It is possible. In your stencil, you would have text fields such as

<%userdata title%>
<%userdata name%>

and you would use the Properties: Note inspector to add key/data pairs for title and name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghpts View Post
Joel! You're here!
Thanx for that info!

Is there a way to copy the key data fields from one shape to another?
Sort of like painting withe the properties brush?
Is it not possible to add key - data pairs to an existing shape using AppleScript? Trying to do this myself.

If anyone has used MailTags the latest version does much the same thing. Of course the evolution of this would be to make the data and keys openly accessible as I think I'm right in saying that they aren't indexed by Spotlight.

I've posted a couple of scripts that set key data pairs for existing shapes using Applescript. See my posts in

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18864

and

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=17457

for sample code.

Thanks - good starting point.