The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request for Leopard and Iphone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Requested Feature: Publish a view to Notes in Mail and all other .mac platforms (including Iphone).

Background:

For people with .mac accounts the new NOTES feature seems to synchronize between desktops and IPHONES (YES it does) pre-configured in Leopard. In other words.

I Create a Note in Mail on my desktop and it creates a note in my .mac imap account inbox on my iphone when i check my mail.

the moment I change the note. I DON'T send another email, instead it updates the note itself in my inbox's across each platform.

The Basic Idea:
There is a saved Perspective I use a lot it's called "office" and it looks like this:

IMAGINE THAT I COULD CONSTANTLY PUBLISH MY SAVED PERSPECTIVES TO the new apple mail in leopard as a Note with individual task and due dates.

Without being a programmer and having done this manually for demonstration purposes. I see there being a benefit to easily PUBLISH a perspective in Omnifocus to Leopard MAIL and in doing so to my .Mac. If so, I will be able to access this view not only as an note in the new apple mail but also as a note in my inbox on my iphone. THIS would be a quick way to get my context list or any saved list a user prefers from omnifocus directly into Mail and especially iphone.

An example of the above omni focus saved view would be as such:

Since I can't take a screen shot of the iphone i will describe what happens in my iphone as follows:

Now I go to my Iphone and Check my mail... and immediately I have an email in my .mac inbox from myself with as Title: Office. When I click on it, I can read the note in my inbox.

PLEASE TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION I NEVER HAD TO SYNC MY Iphone to my Computer... all updates take place when I check email. NO MORE PROGRAMMING REQUIRED.

SECONDLY: When I go to my To Do Feature in Leopard Mail is see the following:

Notice how leopard mail allows for Due Date, Start Date, Priority, Calendar, Alarm, Account and Notes.
Values that could "easily" be taken straight from omnifocus and the moment there is a change in omnifocus these values can be changed in leopard mail as well for the Perspectives I choose to sync in omnifocus.

Since I can't take a screen shot of the iphone i will describe what happens in my iphone as follows:

When I check my email on .mac I have found a new Folder since I installed leopard: It's called: Apple Mail to Do and it's ver batim a copy of all my to Do items under my .mac account. Each line items is represented with an email like message from unkown sender with the title name of the to-do note in the subject line of the email message. I can't edit the emails on my apple phone but they have some kind of mime attachment to do. I assume apple will likely have a program that will use this info later on.

iCAL functionality:

to demonstrate changes in iCal and these new features in .mac, I quickly add some due dates to my .mac to do list. Ideally you should be able to do this in omnifocus.

and in iCal it looks like this:

Notice how there is a new calendar created under .MAC and it's called Calendar. I'm unable to edit the Calendar in iCal. It's read only and can only be edited in Leopard Mail. Each appointment contains a URL in case you want to edit it.

On the Iphone: there is no change in iCal on iPhone except for the To Do in Apple Mail that has the mime attachments. Perhaps this will be in a future update for the iphone.

Summary:

This feature requests tries to demonstrate how a saved perspective (or just al my contexts) can be saved to one or multiple Notes in the new Apple Mail. If the Notes contain actual to do items or not is not that important at this time because as you can tell the functionality from a iCal perspective integrated with iPhone is still very limited, but potentially possible and exciting. At the same time, such a feature would allow me to take my errands perspective with me on my iphone as a walk through a grocery store.

Sincerely,

rolivier79

From my quick look at this, it seems that Notes are read-only on iPhone; is that correct?

This looks like a really promising avenue for syncing to the iPhone- is it something that could be done in applescript relatively easily?

Simon

It would be really cool to have integration with the iphone. This is top on my priority list.