The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project Review Reminders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm fairly new to OmniFocus, having used Things and RTM in the past. I apologize if the question below has been covered sometime in the past and if so would appreciate someone pointing me in the correct direction. After reading the manual, watching the video, and scouring the forum the answer still alludes me.

I understand the review process for projects and actionable items and my default is set for each Sunday at 8am (timed for after breakfast while drinking my second cup of coffee). Is there a means for OmniFocus to remind me it's time to review my projects without creating a repeating action item?

Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Jon

Not sure if this helps.

Prior to Mountain Lion, OF could sync items with the calendar and I suspect set alarms. I think that is now the victim of sandboxing - but have to admit that I didn't use that functionality. If you are on Lion it might still be possible (do a search on ical sync)

I just block out a couple of hours in my Diary manually for the Weekly Review.

If you have lots of projects (particularly someday/maybe) it is worth changing the review frequency on projects that are less active.

I also just block out an hour or two on Sunday morning just for the weekly review.

I only create reminders when I am trying to create a new habit. After a month, I no longer need a reminder and automatically just do it. It is part of the weekly routine.

For example, I don't need a reminder to brush my teeth or prepare breakfast in the morning. That's an automatic thought process. I know that trash day is Thursday. So I know that I have to wheel out my garbage can to the curb on Wednesday night.

If I know that it is Sunday morning, I know that I have to do my weekly review. I don't need a reminder anymore because I know it is part of my daily routine. However, if I don't do that weekly reminder on Sunday morning, 8 AM, I will put a one time reminder in Reminders or OmniFocus to do the daily review. I'll flag it and set the due date to Today.

Thanks for the help. Blocking off my work calendar will fill the ticket perfectly.

An alternative I've tried out is to do the daily review. I click on a project and set the review frequency to 1 week (the default), 1 month, or whatever setting you want.

When I wake up in the morning, I click on the review perspective button on my toolbar and see what needs to be reviewed. Then I click "Mark as Reviewed" or Command-Shift-R. That will reset the project's next review date to the next cycle.

Projects can be reviewed daily, weekly, month, annually or whatever setting in between. Not ever project needs to be reviewed on a daily or even weekly basis. Some can be set to a quarterly basis.

I am always aware of the progress of each of my projects.

This lets me break up the weekly review into bite size chunks every day. Then once every two weeks or once a month, I will do a full-sized review on look at each project for a more thorough analysis of what has stalled, what needs to be activated, and what needs to be put on hold.