The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Feature Request: Alarm or Reminder [A: Supported, install Growl.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Will the final version 1 have the reminder feature (and perhaps sync the reminder/alarm) to iCal?

Thanks.
 
I hpe so, as right now I'm having to add alarms manually to iCal after syncing.

I'm sure the Ninjas are on it.

NW
 
I would also like to request reminders. In addition to being able to set reminders for various tasks/projects. I'd like to see a reminder to do reviews as they are scheduled. Perhaps a dialog window or even growl integration.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post
I'd like to see a reminder to do reviews as they are scheduled. Perhaps a dialog window or even growl integration.
That would be too conspicuous, to my tastes. But I could imagine an inspector windowlet taking care of all reminders. If there's nothing to be reminded of, it will float there empty. If a review is due, or even a task, it will be listed there. But I would not like having 'popups' nagging me about overdue stuff.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post
I would also like to request reminders. In addition to being able to set reminders for various tasks/projects. I'd like to see a reminder to do reviews as they are scheduled.
Me, too. I know that a pure GTDer would remember to do their weekly reviews and thus would never need a reminder of anything, but I can't remember what I'm doing from one minute to the next, and having the software remind me, even if it's just to remind me to do the review itself, is crucial.

-- Aimee
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
Me, too. I know that a pure GTDer would remember to do their weekly reviews and thus would never need a reminder of anything, but I can't remember what I'm doing from one minute to the next, and having the software remind me, even if it's just to remind me to do the review itself, is crucial.
Part of GTD is programming yourself to be as automatic with these things as you are with say, brushing your teeth. My hope is that I'll get to that point eventually <grin>.

In the mean time, I have a Weekly Review repeater project, and I'm working on an AppleScript Studio app that gives me review checklists from a toolbox button. You can also set an alarm in iCal, or a reminder e-mail from Google Calendar. According to canonical GTD, the reviews are hard landscape and belong on the calendar anyway.

--Liz
waving to Aimee over the proverbial back fence -- we're IRL friends
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
Part of GTD is programming yourself to be as automatic with these things as you are with say, brushing your teeth. My hope is that I'll get to that point eventually <grin>.

In the mean time, I have a Weekly Review repeater project, and I'm working on an AppleScript Studio app that gives me review checklists from a toolbox button. You can also set an alarm in iCal, or a reminder e-mail from Google Calendar. According to canonical GTD, the reviews are hard landscape and belong on the calendar anyway.

--Liz
waving to Aimee over the proverbial back fence -- we're IRL friends
I am all for following a good process, but a strict adherence to a rule seems rather constraining to me, and the rigid structure is what makes certain programs and processes fail since they fail to take account of different needs of the individual. If we want reminders, let us have it so that we can take advantage of the feature, and those who do not want it, then you don't have to use it at all.

Furthermore, it seems rather redundant and inefficient for me & others to create a task in OF and then having to go into iCal and set up a reminder. I for one would like to take care of it in one program rather than having to keep going back and forth between two programs.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Alarms or Alerts At All?!? [A: Install Growl to get alarms.] phlange OmniFocus 1 for Mac 20 2011-12-14 10:33 AM
Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function. narvik04 Applying OmniFocus 23 2011-11-18 01:50 AM
Feature request: lockscreen reminder in iOS 5 Kha OmniFocus for iPad 1 2011-06-13 03:21 PM
Alarm or reminder? [A: Yes, if Growl is installed.] nicfab OmniFocus 1 for Mac 13 2009-09-03 01:34 AM
Feature Request: Add in feature to ignore or set time for sync reminder rwhitney OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2009-06-11 03:30 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.