The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Grocery lists in OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OK. The iPhone is not _actually_ deleting the actions, right? They're just not being displayed.

In the Settings pane, you can set the Projects view to show 'All' actions and then they'll show up whether they're completed or not. In Contexts, that option is not available. Maybe it should be?

I've submitted feedback on this, but this is a great example of where it would be awesome to have a gesture (ie pinch out) to bring up a quick view filter (Remaining/All/Available, etc), without roundtripping to the settings...

-P

milestaub, you might want to review the posts at the beginning of this thread, which outline a system of checking all the items you don't need from the store, while unchecking all the items you do need to buy.

Currently, OF for iPhone doesn't support Perspectives, like the desktop app does. So OF for iPhone assumes that everything checked is already complete, while everything unchecked is still "to be done." So the iPhone app hides all checked/completed items, showing you only the unchecked/not complete ones.

So, on the desktop app, check all items. Then uncheck the things you need from the store. Then sync, go to the store, and do your shopping, checking items on the iPhone as you put them in your basket.

IntlOrange...I appreciate your suggestion and it's the one you posted straight away, and it would be a great suggestion if I knew what I needed when I'm in front of my Mac, but that's not where I do it. As I indicated in my original post, I check my grocery list in my kitchen, with my iPhone (previously Palm Treo with the terrific ListPro app), no Mac in the kitchen.

Under your scenario, I check all items on my Mac, then uncheck the items I need - at my Mac. Since checked items aren't shown on the iPhone, I can't use this method.

In the mean time, I just keep a calendar item for groceries and manually add to it as I need it. Not a happy solution, given how good a list program I had with the Treo. I'm optimistic that the Apple Apps store will have a good list program that syncs with the Mac (so I can create the lists quickly on my Mac) and iPhone.

Miles

milestaub, sorry for missing that in your post.

You're right that currently, there is no way to do what you want using OF for iPhone. I suggest just hanging in there for a while until a future update (maybe 1.1?) supports Perspectives, or other similar view controls that will let you show checked items. (I'm pretty sure such functionality is on the way soon.)

Quote:
It occurs to me that I could use this with a different context for each store I frequent. For example, I like to get most dry goods items from Trader Joe's (where they're super-cheap) and produce at Whole Foods (where the quality is much better).
This is good, however the issue I've run into is that the same item can be purchased at multiple stores. There's no way to have an item be in multiple contexts, so if I want to buy everything in one store this doesn't work, right?

I'm still looking for the ultimate shopping list. I have to shop for home, business (more than one), projects, etc. I can buy item Y at store A only, but item X is at store A and B. Item Z is at store B and C but not A, etc... I want my store B context to show all the items, but A only show item Y. And ideally each would have its own order for the locations within the store. Seems impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
This is good, however the issue I've run into is that the same item can be purchased at multiple stores. There's no way to have an item be in multiple contexts, so if I want to buy everything in one store this doesn't work, right?

I'm still looking for the ultimate shopping list. I have to shop for home, business (more than one), projects, etc. I can buy item Y at store A only, but item X is at store A and B. Item Z is at store B and C but not A, etc... I want my store B context to show all the items, but A only show item Y. And ideally each would have its own order for the locations within the store. Seems impossible.
Try using the Business search, instead of a set store.

Sorry, could you expand on that concept? I'm new with OF and after looking through the menus and help file, I couldn't find anything like that.

Its only on the iPhone, it is a property of a context (edit contexts). You can define a "business search" for the location of a context (ie Grocery Store). OmniFocus will then do a search (presumably through Google) of your surrounding area when you hit the "location" icon in the bottom of the screen.

My issue with this is that I have an item (say apples) that I could buy at Trader Joes, or Whole Foods, but don't want to buy at Ralph's - well Ralph's is going to come up based on that business search.

The way to do this would be to use OmniFocus' context Hierarchy, where you have a context called "Food Store" and then sub contexts for "Trader joes" and "Whole Foods". Something you can get at any food store, you put in the top context, items that are store specific would go in their sub context. However unlike the desktop app, the iPhone is limited in aggregating this view, so you have to constantly drill up and down through your context hierarchy to see your tasks. I've submitted feedback asking for some way to see them all on a screen, perhaps by expanding them vertically in place accordion style, rather than slide left/right.

-P

Ah, interesting, hadn't thought of that. It may work for groceries but wouldn't work for many of the things I have in mind.

As a specific example:

If I'm buying groceries for home, I'm likely to go to the closest store. If I'm buying housewares, I'll go to Target or Wal-mart (different business class), however, I can also get the groceries there. To complicate it further, if I'm buying stuff to go to the boat for the weekend, I may need groceries, or boat stuff. I can get the boat stuff at Wal-mart, but not Target. And I can get the groceries at Wal-mart also.

I used to have an application on the Pocket PC that did exactly this (VO Shopping List). It's the only thing left that I simply can't find for the iPhone at all. It would let me say that a dock line was available at Wal-mart and at West Marine, and that beer is available at the grocery store and at Wal-mart and at Target. When I went to Wal-Mart I'd select that location and it would show me the items available there, plus in the right order for that store.