The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Proper ad blocking Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
At the moment, when OW blocks an ad, it leaves a hideous white box where the ad used to me. This sort of defeats the purpose of blocking, I think:



Is there any way of making the box gracefully disappear, as with other ad blocking systems?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
At the moment, when OW blocks an ad, it leaves a hideous white box where the ad used to me. This sort of defeats the purpose of blocking, I think:



Is there any way of making the box gracefully disappear, as with other ad blocking systems?
I hope you expect something must be shown, else you may never know if a legitimate non ad image is being blocked.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
I hope you expect something must be shown, else you may never know if a legitimate non ad image is being blocked.
No, I dont. I want a clean, readable web page, and not a page of empty boxes. Have a look at what GlimmerBlocker or Safari AdBlock does and you will see the difference. If I want to see if there are any "false positives", I can turn off the blocker and reload the page.

Last edited by hardcoreUFO; 2009-03-04 at 12:51 PM..
 
You've mentioned GlimmerBlocker, so why not just use that? It works perfectly well with OmniWeb. In fact, I've turned off OmniWeb's integrated ad-blocking completely because I too prefer not to have those placeholders remain on the page. There are now enough filters available for GlimmerBlocker for it to achieve full-fledged blocking and replace OW's built-in blocking.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotank View Post
You've mentioned GlimmerBlocker, so why not just use that? It works perfectly well with OmniWeb. In fact, I've turned off OmniWeb's integrated ad-blocking completely because I too prefer not to have those placeholders remain on the page. There are now enough filters available for GlimmerBlocker for it to achieve full-fledged blocking and replace OW's built-in blocking.
You are right, and thats what I would do if I decided to use OW full time. However, that's not fixing OW's ad blocking, that's using something else.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO View Post
You are right, and thats what I would do if I decided to use OW full time. However, that's not fixing OW's ad blocking, that's using something else.
This doesn't make any sense. If you like GlimmerBlocker, and it works the way you want, and it works with OW or any browser, then just use it as he said.

What difference does it make then if OW is "broken" as you say?

It doesn't need to be "fixed" if you can completely avoid the "broken" aspect, does it? If BP gasoline doesn't work well in my car, but Exxon works great, I just use Exxon. Do I insist BP improve its gas?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
This doesn't make any sense. If you like GlimmerBlocker, and it works the way you want, and it works with OW or any browser, then just use it as he said.

What difference does it make then if OW is "broken" as you say?

It doesn't need to be "fixed" if you can completely avoid the "broken" aspect, does it? If BP gasoline doesn't work well in my car, but Exxon works great, I just use Exxon. Do I insist BP improve its gas?
The point is, OW's ad blocking does not work very well, so the Omni folks might like to fix it or get rid of it. What is nonsensical about that?
 
For some of us it is ad blocking that doesn't show you what and where something has been blocked that is broken. Especially if you block Flash by default. So there isn't anything for OmnGroup to 'fix'. Add an option to collapse blocked content for those that want it, but don't do it by default or get rid of the current method for those that don't.
 
I agree with the above poster. Obviously OmniWeb's developers don't see its ad-blocking method as "broken" or they'd probably change it. Having the option to tweak ad-blocking behaviour would be a nice feature to see added in the future, but for now I'm content to use GlimmerBlocker as an alternative without seeing OW as needing to be fixed.
 
The thinking behind the current behavior is that it preserves the original layout as created by the designer, as well as giving the visitor something to click if they want to see something we've blocked. Call the boxes "hideous" if you must, but it's by design.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proper WebDAV settings for iPad omniplan access WilsonN OmniPlan for iPad 1 2012-06-14 04:09 PM
Proper way of implementing writePreviewsForDocument:error SpiraMira Omni Frameworks 5 2012-02-03 10:45 AM
Will there be "proper" .Mac - support? kenny OmniFocus 1 for Mac 17 2008-01-25 04:33 PM
Improved Ad-Blocking oleandros OmniWeb Feature Requests 11 2006-05-05 04:55 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.