The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bonjour Synch stuck at "preparing to synchronize" [Answer: Mac Firewall Preferences] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just installed OmniFocus on my new 2nd generation ipod touch. I've been using the desktop for a few months. When I go through the steps for the initial synching via Bonjour, something goes wrong.

I believe I am connecting directly from MacBook to iPod via Air Port. I have no wireless gear other than these two devices, and my iPod Settings' WiFi info shows the iPod as connected to my MacBook.

After I choose "Set Up Sync" on the iPod, I click "Share Settings" on the desktop "Synchronization Preferences", my computer immediately replaces the "searching" text in the box near the bottom of the "Sync with Mac" screen on the iPod. I touch it and get a grayed-out OmniFocus top level menu, with "Preparing to Synchronize" and what appears to be a progress bar on top. The progress bar never moves and after about 75 seconds, I'm popped back to the "Synch with Mac" screen and the "searching" text has reappeared.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help!

-- Elizabeth

I figured it out!

It was my firewall. D'oh!

Here's what I had to do, in case someone else comes across this while trying to solve the same problem:

Navigate through Apple > System Preferences > Security > Firewall

Choose "Set access for specific services and applications" and add OmniFocus to the list.

-- Elizabeth

Can't get any sync between iphone and Mac. They are on the same local wifi network. Iphone detects settings sent from Mac, but when try to sync I get message (on the Iphone) that no server can be found the matches the settings. How can this happen? Mac does NOT list phone on the clients list.
What is up?
I have the latest versions of both Mac and mobil OF apps.
I even removed the previous files, and downloaded a brand new version of the OF for IPhone. Still the two machines are not seeing each other in OmniFocus sync process.

Shalimar

After much trouble, I now have communication between devices. Thanks.