The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drag Action to Folder and it MUST Become a Project ??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to drag single actions into folders, and they remain single actions. Is this possible?

I don't want to set up 'Single Actions' folders within each of my folders. That (1) seems redundant, and (2) adds a layer of complexity and 'hiddenness'.

(Instead of remaining a single action, single actions dragged to folders automatically and necessarily become projects, it seems?)

I use folders to represent the different 'hats' I wear, e.g.: coach; father; treasurer; tutor; home owner; athlete.

I am aware of the lengthy and informative discussion started by 'Convergent' last November 1. In the end though, I still am wondering if there's a way to drag a single action into a folder and have it remain a single action.

In a word, no. It sounds like this might be possible in OF 2.0.

Nope, folders can contain projects and the special project type, the single action list. Actions cannot be dragged into, or created in, a folder.

Is there a philosophical/methodological reason for this limitation? Something about GTD approach that I don't understand?

-or-

Is it merely a feature that hasn't been implemented into OF yet?

>>>>Actions cannot be dragged into, or created in, a folder.

It's merely a feature that hasn't been implemented yet.

The current internal implementation of OmniFocus 1.8 lets projects-without-actions show up as their own single action in Context mode; will that meet your need?

Looking forward to 1.8 and/or 2.0, on this account. No urgency; however, a strong preference. Will indeed fit into my workflow well.

Thank you.