The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Flagged Items Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to use the flagged items perspective, but it's only showing me items that have a context or project. Is this how it's supposed to work, or did I break something?

Screenshot: http://skitch.com/tedroden/nux3p/omnifocus-flagged

I'm expecting to go into the flagged perspective and see things whether they have a context/project or not.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

EDIT: Here is my flagged perspective settings page: http://skitch.com/tedroden/nux4f/fla...ive-preference

Last edited by tedroden; 2010-02-03 at 05:30 AM..

Material in the Inbox is currently (as of 1.7.5) not included in context mode displays, whether or not it has a context or project assigned. The Inbox is intended as a place where you collect and prepare material for execution, not as a place to keep material while you work it. If you really want to do stuff directly from the Inbox, go look at the Inbox. If the stuff in the Inbox is so urgent that you don't have time to properly assign it to a project and context, why are you looking anywhere else for actions to do?

As always, if you have suggestions for improvements, use Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com to get them in front of the developers. It is possible to convince them that past decisions should be reconsidered, though sometimes after reconsideration, they make the same choice again :-)

Thanks for the reply! I switched the perspective to Projects view and it works fine.

Quote:
If the stuff in the Inbox is so urgent that you don't have time to properly assign it to a project and context, why are you looking anywhere else for actions to do?
Because not everybody works in the same way. I don't generally have the desire to move things out of my inbox just to put them into some arbitrary project if they're not part of some larger project, or if I simply don't care what project it's a part of... it just needs to get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedroden View Post
Because not everybody works in the same way. I don't generally have the desire to move things out of my inbox just to put them into some arbitrary project if they're not part of some larger project, or if I simply don't care what project it's a part of... it just needs to get done.
Then just do it! :-)

While there is some reason to believe that Omni will put out an update to OmniFocus (desktop) to make it behave similarly to how the most recent OmniFocus (iPhone) version behaves in this regard (where suitably marked items in the Inbox do show up in context or flagged views), you might be waiting for some time. In the interim, why not use the features that are already present? If you set your preferences (Data pane) so that Inbox items with a context will be cleaned up, you can have them swept off to the Miscellaneous single action list (also configured on the Data pane) and get them out of your Inbox and allow you to use all of the tools, including the flagged perspective.