The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Completed Daily Repeating Tasks Appear in Due Today Perspective as Due Tomorrow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's the scenario:

Create a due 5pm today action.
In the Info window:
  • Set it to repeat every week
  • Click the S, M, T, W, Th, F, S buttons
Create the following perspective:
  • Grouping:"Due"
  • Sorting:"Due"
  • Availability Filter:"Available"
  • Status Filter:"Due or Flagged" (this is my flagged core perspective)
  • Estimated Time Filter:"Any Duration"

While viewing the above perspective complete the action. It will immediately show as due tomorrow, but still in the Due Today section. Why doesn't it move to the Due Tomorrow section?

Not the whole answer, but a daily repeating task generally wants a start date, not just a due date. That will make it disappear from your specified view, where it shouldn't appear until tomorrow.

What happens if you press command-K?

Thanks for your help Palmer.

When setting up the action with a start date, rather than a due date, it correctly disappears from my flagged core upon completion and cleanup (command-k).

It also does not appear immediately in the "Due tomorrow" section of my flagged core (as described in my initial post) perspective, but that's OK with me.

It is now April 3, 2012 12:15 PM, and the repeat section of the Info window indicates "Next start: April 4, 2012 12:00 AM". Am I correct to assume this means it will appear in "Due today"after midnight tonight?

Is there a detailed set of instructions somewhere for this super cool, very much appreciated, but sometimes confusing, repeating action behavior?

I'm totally in the realm of ignorant speculation here, but I wonder if the good OmniFolk aren't going to exploit and fully explain the repeat section until forecast views are added to the Mac version. I hope it is soon.

Last edited by danlandrum; 2012-04-03 at 11:34 AM..

Sorry for the confusion here! When a repeating action, any start and due dates on the action are pushed forward by the repeat interval. (Actions without a start date are assumed to have already started.)

When I set up a perspective like you described and some test actions with that repeat type, the action was moved from the "Due today" bucket and into the "Due tomorrow" one. Which may just mean my test case failed to tickle whatever caused what you saw; if you see something like that happen again, please email the support ninjas - maybe we can figure out what's going on. Sorry for the trouble!

Regarding the start date - yep, by default, we start the item as early as possible on that day. There is a feature request open on adding a configurable default start time like we have for due times; if that would be useful, let us know and we can attach you to that request.

Regarding documentation, the "Setting up repeating actions and projects" page in the Help material covers this stuff (and was revisited recently in order to add info on the new repeat type), but if additional info would be helpful there, let us know and we can file requests on that, as well. Thanks!