The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quick Project Creation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know of a quick way to turn an item in the inbox into a project? The only way I can find is to drag it to the side bar, but when I'm processing my in-box, I'd really like to not have to leave to add items to that particular task.

Outdent with cmd-[

Better yet, select everything in the Inbox you want in that new project, group with G, type project name, re-arrange anything out of order, then outdent.

Thank you! Wow, makes life so much easier now.

Another tactic, if you've got an action in the Inbox for an as-yet-to-be-created project is to simply tab over to the project field, type in the desired project name and follow with cmd-return. This creates the project and assigns that action to it (assign a context, too, if you want one). When the clean-up step happens, it will be swept out to the sidebar with no further action required. This is better suited for individual actions you are turning into projects rather than groups of actions, which are more efficiently handled by the group/outdent approach. Group/outdent is also better if you need to set any parameters for the project, such as parallel/sequential, context, auto-complete, etc. because you have something to inspect with the inspector. I use the "create project in place" approach most often on the iPad/iPhone, I think; it's kind of a wash on the Mac.

The outdent approach was really helpful for me. But one thing I'm struggling with is then how to move the project into a folder without having to use the mouse.

I know that you can use the "Folder : Subfolder" naming scheme if you assign a project through the project field, but it would be great to first set up everything around the project and then simply file it via some kind of shortcut. I think The Hit List had some kind of function for this which I really liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
how to move the project into a folder without having to use the mouse.
One approach would be to assign this script to a keystroke using something like FastScripts or Keyboard Maestro.

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-07-05 at 07:46 AM..