The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Should I wait for the version 2.0? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I've been using the trial edition of Omnifocus, which has proved very useful. I'm now considering purchasing the full program but, having looked at the forums, I'm worried version 2.0 is about to be released, especially as the price for the mac version has been reduced to $39.99.

I don't want to buy one version only for the new version to come out straight after. Does anyone know when the new version is due out and what the upgrade procedure is likely to be? Will there be a free upgrade if I've only recently bought the old version?

Thanks!
 
At this rate, probably it will be 2014. I figure you're safe ;-)
 
The sooner you buy it, the more use you'll get out of it before 2.0 :-)

I'm not quite as pessimistic (realistic?) as CatOne, but I think you'll probably get 6 months of use out of the current version before there's even a beta of 2.0, and 9 months until it ships if everything goes their way. If you can't get $5/month value from using OmniFocus, why buy it?

As a practical matter, the 30 day guarantee gives you a free pass to 2.0 if they upgrade that close to your purchase, and Omni has historically given a very generous credit for owning a previous version when upgrading. The trickier question, I think, is whether to buy from Omni directly or from the App Store. It doesn't effect the price you pay now, and it doesn't affect the guarantee, but you may not be able to get a discount on an upgrade if you buy the App Store version, and there are some other considerations which I think make buying directly from Omni the way to go. There have been some threads on the forum on this topic if you want to look for them.
 
Great, thanks for the info whpalmer4. I'd guessed this might be the case. I'll probably bite the bullet and purchase the license at the end of the trial. Looking at other threads it sounds like a direct purchase from Omni is the way to go; shame, as the App Store is very convenient for most software!
 
for direct sales, the Omni Group sells you a transferable license, which you cannot have on the Mac App Store. It's a better value to buy direct because you can opt to transfer or sell that license freely.

Omni's software licensing has been consistently sensible since the OpenStep days. Every time I have purchased a product from them it has always felt like more of a mutually beneficial partnership.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I replace a Multi-Language version with an English-Only version? HenryJ OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2014-02-14 10:59 PM
Buy iPhone version now or wait for iPad version? dougray OmniFocus for iPad 14 2010-07-15 12:39 PM
Upgrade to pro now, or wait oblomow OmniGraffle General 17 2009-09-15 08:15 AM
Project: on hold/wait vs. Context: wait malisa OmniFocus 1 for Mac 7 2008-09-07 10:34 AM
Wait times Speireag OmniPlan General 2 2008-06-04 05:26 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.