The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Managing Big Projects in OF (working with OO/OP?) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been managing a large project in OO Pro. I love it and its working beautifully. However, I and trying to use OF as my single point of reference for all tasks. I found that I could import my OO file into OF. I was amazed that it actually kept the structure in tact (indents, etc). Now that I have my project in OF, I found that I could not make changes and then export that back to OO or OP. I also could not figure out how to make re-make the indent structure in OF to insert new tasks. I really need the functionality of exporting to OO or OP (mostly for MS Project compatibility). I mostly use OP to open Project files from others and to export my OO files into .mpx files.

Does anyone else successfully make large projects in OF (or in combination with OO/OP)? If so, what is your workflow like?

Cheers
Joe

Curt Clifton is one of the most active posters on this blog.
His website has a couple of fantastic applescripts that may be able to help you out.
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html

What about from a GTD stand point . . . . does it make sense to even use OF and export to OO? Or should I just do everything in OO for my big projects?

You do have OmniPlan, right (you referenced OP above)? Why not use that? Do your overall project planning there, and every suitable interval export the next tasks due to be worked on into an OmniOutliner file and import that to OmniFocus for your tactical planning. Unfortunately, you can't send progress/completion data back to OmniPlan from OmniFocus, and in trying this proposed workflow just now, I see there is a bug in how OmniPlan interprets duration information as it imports (1h gets turned into 1 minute).

I haven't done any really massive projects with these tools, but the smaller things I've done I've used OmniPlan to scope out the framework of the project, determine what sorts of resources will be needed and when. I've done individual OmniFocus projects for the individual tasks in the OmniPlan doc where helpful to keep track of the low-level details. I didn't attempt to do any cross-linking between the two apps. Having the OmniPlan framework makes it a bit easier to productively use some unexpected help if the big project has some potential parallelism. And of course it's a bit easier to see how much of an impact a setback will have, which is a rather more likely scenario :-)