The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

new window instead of un-minimizing from the dock Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
"We will now prefer to un-minimize browser windows from the dock rather than creating new browser windows when you switch into OmniWeb."
i finally found it in the release notes of "omniweb 5.0 beta 4" under "other" > "interface"
i really think this was a backwards-step for omniweb, requiering me to always re-minimize the upcoming window and making a new one by pressing cmd-n!
please, omnigroup, undo this. if i want to get a minimized window, i will click it in the dock.

still i think, omniweb is great work, and maybe the best browser on any platform.

There's a pref under tabs and windows that prevents the window from un-docking.

i know .. but then i still have to manually open a new browser window. even if no window is open in omniweb.

in omniweb 4 and early 5 betas it presented a new window, when the omniweb-dock-icon was clicked. and it didn't un-minimize windows that were in the dock, except you clicked them.

at present it is not possible to open a new browser window - if another window is in the dock - without using cmd-n (or file menu)

summary:
- new window when omniweb's dock icon is clicked (!)
- no un-minimizing when omniweb's icon is clicked
- un-minimizing only if minimized window is clicked in the dock

Last edited by andreas_g; 2006-05-24 at 02:08 AM..

I wonder if I could add to this a related suggestion, which may be what this means:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas_g
un-minimizing only if minimized window is clicked in the dock
It'd be nice if there were a pref to keep minimized windows from being the windows that open links from other apps. Often when there are lots of windows OW will open external links not in the front browser but in one of the minimized windows.

@ afb: i never notized that
what have you set the "tab & window" prefs set to ?

I've got "Present a window when OW starts" checked, and "Don't show a window when OW's icon is clicked". And "Open links from other applications in A new tab."

I only really notice it when I've got a lot of windows open, and I think more than one minimized.

would be interesting to know what other people think about window un-minimizing vs creating new windows, as described in my first and second thread.

I've barely minimised a window at all (in any application) since the advent of Exposé so, frankly, I don't care ;)

Similar to JKT. I rarely minimize windows.

Out of curiosity, what size monitors are you using? I have a Macbook, so I have a small screen. I personally love small screens (my previous favorite Mac was an iceBook) and on those, even with Expose it's hard to manage multiple windows without minimizing them. I agree with parent -- on many occasions I click the Omniweb icon in the dock with the intention of spawning a new window, but cause one of the minimized windows to appear from the dock. I need to re-minimize that window and open a new one. If there could be an explicit preference to open a new window instead of maximizing minimized windows, I think it could be beneficial.