The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

cloning a task Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was searching through the threads here and noticed this old one on cloning. Since it looks like the OF folks are considering cloning in OO, maybe this will filter across to OF.

Glad to see this come up again. I find my self wishing for a Linked or Master (Cloned) task often. I have used the buy hammer task previously. Several projects require a new hammer (Task = buy hammer, Context = errand:hardware store). I only need to buy it once but it is a dependency in several projects. When I complete the buy hammer task in any project I want it checked off in all projects.

Last edited by lennie; 2008-11-09 at 06:43 PM..

I think I see what you are getting at.

But I guess I usually would just create a sequential project with buy hammer at the top, and then put the other projects under it as parallel sub-projects.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples where this wouldn't be so, but if two project both hinge on "buying a hammer" they are probably conceptually related enough that it wouldn't be completely ridiculous to put them under a shared more general project heading.

Maybe it's not the most elegant solution. But creative of use of the sequential and parallel attribute definitely allows for some pretty intricate dependencies.

KS