The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tracking an action through many dependencies? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi all -

This is another best practices question within the context of Omnifocus. I work in software architecture and development (you probably saw my post regarding setting up folders and project). My question here, though, is different. I get or generate a request for enhancement (RFE). That request then goes through a series of dependencies. For example, I have an engineering contact that generates an ID for the RFE. Then it gets prioritized and eventually to a developer. Then from the developer it goes into test, then eventually into production, where I can then close the RFE. I'll give a real world scenario:

I get an e-mail asking for "widget x" to be added to the front page of an application. I then request that the RFE be submitted to the engineering team via an e-mail to my contact. I then wait for the engineering contact to send me an e-mail back with the ID for the RFE. Now, I have an official RFE. Then I have to wait for it to be prioritized into a release. Once it's attached to a release, I have to wait for it to be developed. After it's developed, it goes into testing (wait for testing to completed), then after testing I wait for it to be deployed.

What is the best way to handle this? One way I could see would be to turn the original e-mail into an action using a clipping. Then simply changing the context and or the title of the action through each phase. Like:

"Create RFE to add Widget X to app" @email
(then I e-mail my engineering lead)
"Create RFE to add Wdiget X to app" @waiting:engineering lead
(I get an RFE ID back from engineering lead and I change the action name)
"RFE 123 - Add Widget X to app" @waiting:development
(Widget X is added to app in beta)
"RFE 123 - Add Widget X to app" @waiting:beta testing
(Widget X is added a app in production)
"RFE 123 - Add Widget X to app" <-- marked complete.

Basically this would just move the one action through many phases.

Another way would be to create new actions for each step.

"E-mail app lead to create RFE to add widget X to app" @email
(once e-mailed, it moves to @waiting:engineering lead)
(engineering lead sends me an ID for the RFE and I mark the action complete and create a new action)
"RFE 123 To be developed" @waiting:engineering

Etc...

What's the best way to manage this?