The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Backup Cleanup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sounds suspiciously like a disk that is headed for trouble. If you aren't making regular backups, it is time to start!

I'd have to agree that it's not an omnifocus issue. The last mac that did that to me was dead in the water within 3 months .
So Glad I had good backups with Super Duper !

But what if you use different computers and Archive on one? How do you search old tasks on the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubscg View Post
But what if you use different computers and Archive on one? How do you search old tasks on the other?
You don't, unless you go over to the other computer and do it there...

Ken talked at one point about wanting to make the archive file get synced as well to fix this very problem, but if the code was ever written, it hasn't seen the light of day. Use Help->Send Feedback to make your request for this (or any other) feature.

i just discovered that my omnifocus backup folder was 35GB in size.

the manual doesn't walk me through a methodology and reasoning for OF backup management - at least not in a "backup management for idiots" enough way for me. i suggest that an expanded entry in the backup section of the OF manual would help to clarify the OF backup psychology and workflow.

i've read this thread, and i get the impression that unless i have actually deleted anything from OF, it remains in the current database file, including completed items.

anything i have completed before a user-specified date can be archived.

backups allow me to access items i have manually deleted from my current database.

if i've been archiving regularly enough, there should rarely be a need to access backups - only in the case of items which have been deleted and which i want to have access to again, or in the case of a corrupted database.

pruning old backups means that the only data which i am "losing" is items which have been deleted by me (all completed items remain in the database unless archived).

in which case, it's generally safe to delete old backups, if i'm reasonably sure that i don't need to access items i've previously deleted.

is my understanding correct???

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post
i've read this thread, and i get the impression that unless i have actually deleted anything from OF, it remains in the current database file, including completed items.
True.
Quote:
anything i have completed before a user-specified date can be archived.
Also true.
Quote:
backups allow me to access items i have manually deleted from my current database.
So long as a backup was made while it was in the database, and you still have access to the backup, true.
Quote:
if i've been archiving regularly enough, there should rarely be a need to access backups - only in the case of items which have been deleted and which i want to have access to again, or in the case of a corrupted database.
The other thing it offers is the ability to see what the status of various items was, and their arrangement. For most people, this probably isn't an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The other thing it offers is the ability to see what the status of various items was, and their arrangement. For most people, this probably isn't an issue.
gotcha - thanks.

that just reclaimed about 100GB of disk space for me across 3 machines...

i feel like i understand how to administrate OF backups and archives now...

: )