The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF as Note-Taking App? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My apologies if this topic is a rerun.

I use OF right now to track tasks for 25 people, creating a context for each person or role. It's probably a perversion of the GTD concept, but it's working for me. I've gotten over the hump of learning OF and have been "just using it."

I am looking for a way to go beyond organizing physical activities; I'd like to organize and track my thinking. When I have an idea I like to jot it down even if it's just rudimentary and then build on it either by editing the original note or creating a "cluster" of notes on a topic. In the past I've used Stickies, text files with Spotlight tags and saved searches, folder hierarchies, and some other things and haven't like any of those methods.

I'm experimenting now with Evernote, but really don't like the tediousness of redefining my search to focus on tagged notes or individual notebooks. Evernote has a lot going for it though, the server sync is nice, the clipping is nice, the content of the note is the focus, there's a lot in there I haven't discovered yet I think.

Why not Omnifocus? It has the organizational capabilities I think I'm looking for, it syncs, it exists on my notebook and my phone, etc. Some downsides might be that the text of the notes aren't the focus of a task so it would be painful to view each note in turn, and it's kind of a "heavy" app on the phone and might inhibit me. Kind of like swatting a fly with a hammer - the tool might not fit the task in this case.

Has anyone found a way to use OF for what I'm describing?

I appreciate your comments and ideas!

-John