The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I Want OmniWeb 6 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

I have used OmniWeb off and on for a decade.
I use it now as my default browser over Safari, iCab and Firefox.
I mainly use OmniWeb Because of sight preferences and full page
zoom (enabled by the terminal). I love OmniWeb and want to see
OmniWeb 6 with the Safari 5 Webkit and a fresh UI. I use News Fire
for my default feed reader. I just want my favorite browser updated.
Love and Regards
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel iMac View Post

I have used OmniWeb off and on for a decade.
I use it now as my default browser over Safari, iCab and Firefox.
I mainly use OmniWeb Because of sight preferences and full page
zoom (enabled by the terminal). I love OmniWeb and want to see
OmniWeb 6 with the Safari 5 Webkit and a fresh UI. I use News Fire
for my default feed reader. I just want my favorite browser updated.
Love and Regards
Dan
Agreed, would be nice to get an initial sneaky pete release of OW 6 to play with.

would love to see OmniGroup really develop this browser. Is there actually any plan to release a major upgrade to a v6?

OmniWeb 5.x has grown long in the tooth and I reluctantly have switched first to Safari, then to Chrome. they are simply faster, more responsive browsers. I miss site preferences, managed workspaces, and I love their implementation of side tabs, but I just need better performance from my browser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
would love to see OmniGroup really develop this browser. Is there actually any plan to release a major upgrade to a v6?

OmniWeb 5.x has grown long in the tooth and I reluctantly have switched first to Safari, then to Chrome. they are simply faster, more responsive browsers. I miss site preferences, managed workspaces, and I love their implementation of side tabs, but I just need better performance from my browser.
I have recently switched to Camino for the same reason.
It is faster than Safari and is in development for Camino 3.

I, too, wish OmniWeb were more of a priority for the Omni Group. I understand, of course, that it's hard to devote development resources to a free application.

OmniWeb does so many things right, I find I can't leave. Like others, I find Workspaces, Site-specific Preferences, the Tab drawer, and other big features unmatched by other browsers.

But it's also small things that are just right in OmniWeb:
  • Save Window Size - temporary window resize doesn't stick for new windows
  • free ".com" for URLs
  • icons in the Status Bar
I'm here for the duration.

-- Ward

I was just talking to my girlfriend about this; she always gives me crap for still using OW, but I every time I've tried to switch to a different browser, I just miss all the little tweaks and features that make OW so special.

How many people can honestly say they *love* their web browser?

I realize OW is at this point something the OG developers work on in their spare time, and isn't a priority (and I understand why), but its still sad to see such a great piece of software slowly dying.

I'd be super grateful to see OW 6, but I'm not holding my breath.

:'-(

Another feature of OmniWeb that makes using anything else a lessor experience is that the spotlight comments of downloaded files contain the originating url. Safari doesn't do that, and neither does Camino.

Expand zoomed text editor for focused text area is a godsend too.

I would love to see a recently closed tab/page feature in OW 6 as mentioned elsewhere, and a smaller memory footprint (though Safari uses about just as much RAM I suspect it is a WebKit issue, not an OmniWeb issue).

Keep up the great work!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguirl View Post
Another feature of OmniWeb that makes using anything else a lessor experience is that the spotlight comments of downloaded files contain the originating url. Safari doesn't do that, and neither does Camino.
Safari doesn't put it in the Spotlight comments field, but it does store it in one of the extended attributes, and it is indexed by Spotlight and visible in the Get Info box in the Finder at the bottom of the More Info section. If I download the same file with OmniWeb and Safari, Spotlight lists them both if I do a search on part of the URL.

I too have a disability, not sight but cerebral palsy; having this browser has given me a tool; the browser meets and exceeds expectations, and is my default browser; other's have given what the browser has, my need for it however comes as the features assist me.