The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Choose Application on start? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I just installed the v36.0.92562 version, after some weeks without using OF. On start, I'm asked for the location of NetNewsWire, OmniWeb and MailTagsScriptingSupport. I don't have any of these programs installed, so I cancel all the dialog boxes, and then OF is open, but no document shows up. I have to dig a past backup, which opens fine.

But I have to repeat the whole process every time I open the app.

Any clues?

Yeah I get this too. I think it's related to the new clipping support.

The clipping (from Mail with MailTags) just crashes for me (reported), and in NetNewsWire it doesn't do anything.

From the Message of the Day for today:
Quote:
Enabled clipping support that has been in progress for a while.

• This uses the Mac OS X Services support to allow clipping of rich text from any application supporting services (hopefully the vast majority in this day and age...). The clipping is sent to Quick Entry, after which a series of plugins are invoked that perform AppleScript handlers to massage the data based on the source application.

• For example, if you have MailTags installed, a link to the sender and message will be prepended to the note, the flagged state, due date, and project (if present in OmniFocus) will be copied over. The subject of the mail message will be set as the task title.

• As of yet, there are only a few plugins, Mail with MailTags (we don't have a plain Mail plugin yet), OmniWeb, Safari and a fallback which does its best to capture information about the source of the clipping.

• The plugin format is pretty simple, though not currently documented. You can look in the app wrapper at BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin for the examples mentioned above, and come by the Omni Group Forums and chat about how to support your own apps. And of course, if you have feedback on what apps you'd like us to include support for, send us feedback.

• The keyboard shortcut used to invoke the service can be specifed in a new clipping preferences pane.

Can someone just tell us how to deal with this? I'm stuck in the middle of the install and don't know how to proceed. And it doesn't sound very pleasant, either, if we're now going to be asked this question every time we open the program. Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi View Post
Hi all,

I just installed the v36.0.92562 version, after some weeks without using OF. On start, I'm asked for the location of NetNewsWire, OmniWeb and MailTagsScriptingSupport. I don't have any of these programs installed, so I cancel all the dialog boxes, and then OF is open, but no document shows up. I have to dig a past backup, which opens fine.

But I have to repeat the whole process every time I open the app.

Any clues?

I get the Choose Application dialog, but then Bouncing Beachball and I can't cancel. Only Force Quit. On restart same dialog, same beach ball :( Things where going along swimmingly this is my first heart stopper which isn't bad for a beta product. But I don't know how I am going to "Undo" this to get back in. Hopefully it checks for updates prior to Dialog and when it updates tomorrow it will be resolved. Otherwise I guess its Uninstall and Start over.

Still happy with the product though. Small price to pay for getting used too early what will probably be one of my most productive products.

Wow. This is unbelievable. The program won't even launch correctly now. And I can't seem to find a backup for the 5+ hours of work I did in the program last night. Preferences cannot be accessed, the only way to get the file to open is through some kind of voodoo, I don't even know which file it's opened...

This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmountjoy View Post
Yeah I get this too. I think it's related to the new clipping support.

The clipping (from Mail with MailTags) just crashes for me (reported), and in NetNewsWire it doesn't do anything.

Last edited by santra; 2007-10-10 at 04:28 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashwell View Post
I get the Choose Application dialog, but then Bouncing Beachball and I can't cancel. Only Force Quit. On restart same dialog, same beach ball :( Things where going along swimmingly this is my first heart stopper which isn't bad for a beta product. But I don't know how I am going to "Undo" this to get back in. Hopefully it checks for updates prior to Dialog and when it updates tomorrow it will be resolved. Otherwise I guess its Uninstall and Start over.

Still happy with the product though. Small price to pay for getting used too early what will probably be one of my most productive products.
I was having this problem. Here's what I did (this is only applicable for the moment and if you want to play with Clipping, I assume):

1. Install Build 92560
2. Download Build 92562 (which is causing the problems with beachballing on startup; I haven't got OmniWeb installed)
3. In the build 92562 disk image, open up the OmniFocus application package; then navigate to Contents; inside that is a folder called PlugIns—copy that to your desktop
4. Go to the copy of PlugIns on your desktop; within that is a package called BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin: open that package.
5. From within that package delete 'OmniWeb.applescript'—this is what was causing the problem for me.
6. Copy the PlugIns folder into /Applcations/OmniFocus/Contents (i.e. inside the Package of your installed copy of OmniFocus: you'll want to do this when the application is closed).
7. Restart OmniFocus.

Of course, these instructions are pretty bleeding-edge and probably not very clear; also I'm confident that they'll be entirely unnecessary within the next few hours when an updated build gets posted!

I've just been reminded that Firefox doesn't support OS X text services, darnit!!

I give up.

I found a backup that is reasonable, but I can't get the program to "keep" it (i.e., open to it after saving, exiting, and reopening). In addition, daily items when checked off now jump ahead 2 days instead of 1.

And the thought of having to follow Richard's instructions below today, and possibly every time an update is released, is unacceptable.

I have been willing to put in 1-5 hours a day learning the program and networking with fellow community members, but I don't have time in my day to spend ONE HOUR just to get the program up and running on top of all the rest of the time I put into this project.

Unless the install gets fixed so that it works correctly, OmniFocus is no longer a viable tool.

--Sandy Santra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flynn View Post
I was having this problem. Here's what I did (this is only applicable for the moment and if you want to play with Clipping, I assume):

1. Install Build 92560
2. Download Build 92562 (which is causing the problems with beachballing on startup; I haven't got OmniWeb installed)
3. In the build 92562 disk image, open up the OmniFocus application package; then navigate to Contents; inside that is a folder called PlugIns—copy that to your desktop
4. Go to the copy of PlugIns on your desktop; within that is a package called BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin: open that package.
5. From within that package delete 'OmniWeb.applescript'—this is what was causing the problem for me.
6. Copy the PlugIns folder into /Applcations/OmniFocus/Contents (i.e. inside the Package of your installed copy of OmniFocus: you'll want to do this when the application is closed).
7. Restart OmniFocus.

Of course, these instructions are pretty bleeding-edge and probably not very clear; also I'm confident that they'll be entirely unnecessary within the next few hours when an updated build gets posted!

I've just been reminded that Firefox doesn't support OS X text services, darnit!!

I had an issue, but with the latest build, I can start the program w/o any difficulty except you get the prompts to select applications (e.g., OmniWeb).

I guess perhaps I'm lucky.

I am actually going to go do my taxes now because that will be less stressful.

I can't believe I just said that--but it's true.

One of the truths here, though, and it's somewhat of a silver lining: this program is such a great program that I have come to completely rely on it. That is why I am so, so upset with this morning's problems that have made it virtually unusable.

But IMHO a great program is nothing if it won't work.