The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

.ics files appear to contain just one task in Entourage? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

When I export a project and then open the resources' .ics files in Entourage, I see just one "to-do" when I know that the resource has multiple tasks.

Also, when I open an .ics file in iCal, I see all the tasks as to-dos, not events. Can I tweak a setting in iCal to make these display as events (on the calendar itself)? If so, I couldn't figure it out.

And I'd like to second the request for a true calendar view of projects--I've wanted project-management software that can do this for a long time.

This is something of a related question, but is there a resource anywhere that explains how to use OmniPlan and Entourage *together*? For instance, being able to make a detailed plan in OmniPlan and then export individual tasks in that plan to Entourage? Is this even remotely possible?

Thanks,
Jeff

Peachpit: You can't change this on the iCal side of things. But when you export from OmniPlan, you have the option to choose either events or to do items. If you export a HTML report, it should show both on the index page for the HTML report and then you can choose which one to import into iCal.

Everyone: Entourage (2004 and 2008) doesn't seem to support iCalendar files, even though both Outlook and iCal do. From a little poking around on the internet, it appears that you can tell Entourage to sync with iCal, then import the files into iCal and they'll eventually be sync'ed over. I realize that's a horribly clumsy work-around, but might be tolerable if you really must.

I'm not super-familiar with Entourage, so if some Entourage guru out there can prove me wrong, please do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Peachpit: You can't change this on the iCal side of things. But when you export from OmniPlan, you have the option to choose either events or to do items. If you export a HTML report, it should show both on the index page for the HTML report and then you can choose which one to import into iCal.

Everyone: Entourage (2004 and 2008) doesn't seem to support iCalendar files, even though both Outlook and iCal do. From a little poking around on the internet, it appears that you can tell Entourage to sync with iCal, then import the files into iCal and they'll eventually be sync'ed over. I realize that's a horribly clumsy work-around, but might be tolerable if you really must.

I'm not super-familiar with Entourage, so if some Entourage guru out there can prove me wrong, please do so.
Lizard

No Entourage 2008 guru either but Entourage 2008 most certainly generates, imports and exports .ics event. If you drag a To Do or A Task into a new email for instance, an .ics attachment is automatically created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachpit View Post
Hi,

When I export a project and then open the resources' .ics files in Entourage, I see just one "to-do" when I know that the resource has multiple tasks.

Also, when I open an .ics file in iCal, I see all the tasks as to-dos, not events. Can I tweak a setting in iCal to make these display as events (on the calendar itself)? If so, I couldn't figure it out.
Clearly Entourage has some support for importing .ics files, but it sounds pretty quick and dirty so far. If it imports events as to-dos and only gets one of many given a file that works fine in iCal (and Outlook?), it's pretty hard to imagine just what I can do about it. That said, after a ridiculous amount of tweaking I managed to get output that worked in Outlook without breaking iCal, so maybe there's a magic formula that will make Entourage happy. If someone can produce a .ics file with events that import properly into Entourage, I'd be happy to have a look to see if we can match its format better. Better yet, one file w/ events, one w/ to-dos.

If nobody can do it, well, looking into this issue will probably have no result beyond making me grumpy.

-Tom