The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OMNI: Possible iDisk bug, we need your help. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I turned on iDisk syncing in System Preferences, it started syncing, and when it got to Item 11 of 13: "OmniFocus.ofocus," it took forever to sync. Now that it's done, the date doesn't make sense: 7/4/08. I sync both OF desktop and OF iphone every day.
Hmm... try turning it off.

Having it on is what causes the issues.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicorourke View Post
I do not have iDisk syncing turned on but I do have the iDisk icon dragged into my Dock - apparantly this keeps a link to the iDisk open so you don't have to load it every time you open finder.

Will try unmounting the iDisk when I get home.
Before attempting to umount iDisk, I updated the OF iPhone app to 1.0.2and the sync worked perfectly.

Xmas: many thanks for this thread! I just started using OmniFocus on two machines and have encountered problems with iDisk syncing wiping out my most recent changes. I was racking my brains trying to figure out why.

I've sent the email as requested, but yes I have iDisk syncing on, and do have syncing issues.

I can't turn iDisk syncing off as I use it to keep the files on two Macs in sync, which is essential for my business, but of there's any help I can give in testing I'll be happy to.

The second Mac doesn't use the OF file, but could easily be syncing at the same time as either OF version.

Is it possible Apple don't expect the iDisk version of any file to be worked on directly (i.e. modified by OF when IT syncs)? Maybe they only expect the local copy to me worked on and then synced?

Mark

For me it's the same drill every morning:

1. Check my desktop OF to verify it's correct; close and reopen to back it up.
2. Turn on iPhone OF and sync--only to discover the sync produces incorrect data.
3. Reset iPhone database and try again--still incorrect data.
4. Open iDisk on MacBookPro and blow away ofocus file(s).
5. Go to iDisk in cloud and blow away ofocus.
6. Open desktop OF and sync.
7. Open iPhone OF and sync.

So every morning I do this--and it takes 10 or 15 minutes--just so I can be certain I can use iPhone OF on my commute into Manhattan on the subway.

If I wanted to "hand off" my synced data between Desktop and iPhone OF again later in the day, I'd have to do some version of the above again.

It's getting frustrating, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
For me it's the same drill every morning:

1. Check my desktop OF to verify it's correct; close and reopen to back it up.
2. Turn on iPhone OF and sync--only to discover the sync produces incorrect data.
3. Reset iPhone database and try again--still incorrect data.
4. Open iDisk on MacBookPro and blow away ofocus file(s).
5. Go to iDisk in cloud and blow away ofocus.
6. Open desktop OF and sync.
7. Open iPhone OF and sync.
From 4 & 5, I get the definition impression that you have iDisk syncing turned ON, correct? Have you tried turning it off, as suggested by Omni here? No point in driving up your frustration level by continuing to try something that is known to be broken in the current version!

I have to go through the exact same procedure as Santra above every morning to make sure I have a good sync, and I DO NOT have iDisk syncing turned on.

For a productivity app, this is really unacceptable, as it is eating a lot of my time. I may just give up on the iPhone app until this is straightened out.

At this point, I cannot even get the desktop versions to sync appropriately, and I have a tiny database.

I was really hoping that Omni was going to be the first company to get syncing done correctly. I know its one of the harding things to do, but I thought they were up to the task. I must say it hasn't gone any better for me here than with any other App that tried to sync data between machines and devices.

Heres hoping a fix is coming soon, and one that includes the fact that this is happening to people who ARE NOT using using iDisk syncing.

JAW

Sorry if you took my message to mean that turning off iDisk syncing would guarantee success in all scenarios. I make no such claim. However, I think it is pointless to continue to do something that is known to be a problem hoping that "this time it will be different" and then continue to complain that it fails!

There are some sync fixes that haven't gotten into the general population for the iPhone yet, so it isn't particularly surprising to me that you might still have sync problems even without iDisk syncing turned on. I can report that my experiences syncing via MobileMe between desktop versions of OmniFocus have been very successful since the latest round of sync fixes came out, and with nearly 7,500 actions in my database and quite a bit of daily turnover, I think I give it a bit of a stress test.

I took a quick look at your postings and didn't find a description of the problems you are having syncing with just the desktop version. Care to elaborate?

Umm, just a little reminder - OF 1.1 for desktop is still an alpha app, and is completely free to use at the moment. IMHO it's one of the most stable alpha builds anywhere, ever, but never-the-less problems should be expected and tollerated.

There's less defence for the iPhone app I suppose, as it's not sold as alpha or beta, but given that the iTunes app store has only been around for what, a month (?), I think we should cut ALL third party iPhone developers a little slack.

Syncing, even from the iPhone, is alpha of course, because half of the equation (OF desktop), is.

I think we should also remember that Apple are not yet 100% squeaky clean with MobileMe - it still gives me trouble from time to time, even with the native apps, so I doubt all of the blame for syncing issues lies with OG anyway.

OG's rate of development has taken me by surprise I have to say, giving me the confidence to "hang in there" while they fix these issues.

Of course, I still want and expect it all to be fixed by this time tomorrow at the very latest please ;)

Mark

Well, every picture tells a story as they say:

This happened with OF desktop open but last synced about an hour ago. iPhone OF is closed and hasn't been synced since yesterday. How can the file on this computer (i.e. my local copy of my iDisk) possibly be newer than the one on MobileMe? It (theoretically) can only possibly have come from MobileMe.

The working OF desktop file is held in User/Documents of course - that's NOT the file the message is referring to.

I have absolutely no idea how to answer this message!

Mark